• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bedding Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPadgham

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi again,

So I have convinced my husband to allow me to have our guinea pigs indoors. We have a fairly large kitchen/diner and they'll be living in there in the farthest corner from the oven etc.

I am quite the clean freak and need a type of bedding that won't stink. Carefresh seems to be good for odour control but I understand it doesn't go far and is therefore quite expensive. I like the idea of fleece but I've read quite a few reviews that say it really smells like urine which I cannot stand. Any advice appreciated!

I've been using fleece for around three weeks now. In all honesty I have never noticed a smell. The only time I do is when it needs changing and you actually lift the fleece away from the absorbent layer underneath. Even then it isn't that bad. I think fleece will only tend to smell really bad if the absorbent layer underneath is too thin.
I use a couple of layers of towels under mine and it works really well.

It might be a case of trail and error, in the case of whats best for you, and your piggies, :)

This is a good thread to look at ...

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/bedding-for-guinea-pigs-overview.114219/

I still haven't made up my mind whether I prefer bedding of fleece ! It's all a matter of personal preference.

The problem with carefresh is that it is expensive and you'll find that alternatives such as Aubiose or Fitch are just as effective and much cheaper.

The downside to using fleece is the amount of laundering.

I don't find a major problem with smell. You will find most forum members spot clean once or twice a day. Most forum members tend to launder fleece at least twice a week. I do a full clean once a week .

Do you have boars or sows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back