• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bedding for guinea pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just wanted to know what is the best bedding for a guinea pig?

I was thinking of using breeders choice which is avail from my local supermarket (It's a recycled newspaper "kitty litter")

I used it for my rats when I had them.

Any advice would be welcomed!

Sounds good if it's made of recycled papers, but hmm, ever considered fleece?

Hmm, my pigs actually love the softness more, what not to mention - There is not a need to keep buying expensive beddings! With larger animals like Guineapigs, even the best bedding smells bad over times.

Fleeces on the other hand are washable, cleanable, and you can make it as colourful as you'd love to! I find mine much more happier and popcorning way more than when I use beddings, not to mention I love the time where I am decorating the cages and what not.

Con? Washing! It can be terrible or okays, depending on your cage size and yeah.

Last edited:
I use recycled paper kitty litter. It works best for me.
I used fleece and with 2 boars it started smelling verry soon, I also found myself picking up poops all the time, as its verry obvious on fleece.

I fill 3/4 of the cage with the litter, and cover it with hay. The leftover 1/4 I cover with fleece, and put their hideys over the fleece, so they have a soft bed to sleep on. I replace that fleece every second day.
The cat litter last forever, and does not smell, its also soft.
Of all the bedding I've tried, it works best for me and my lifestyle.

Could you be using the fleece in a wrong way? With 12 pigs, 6 each cage, I could have mine last a week :...

The 1 thing i learnt with fleece is don't use towels underneath..it will stink..i use mattress protector and incontinence pad and sometimes puppy training pads...lasts around 6 days.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shellmark-Washable-absorbent-90x90cms-litre/dp/B000MEVCDI/ref=pd_sim_kh_2[/ame]

I had newspaper, then puppy pads, and then the fleece.
I sweeped up all the poops twice a day.
It looked great for 10 mins and as soon as I add the boars, its a minefield of poops and hay. It would stink by the next day.
I changed the fleece every 3rd day.

My guys love to sit inside the hay, and seems much happier with the litter and ALOT of hay plonked on top, they love to hide in the hay and munch away.....

I do however keep my single girl on fleece, and it seems to not get so stinky with her. (she is still a baby though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back