• Issues with online booking at The Cat & Rabbit Clinic in Northampton. Read more here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Lily_pig

Junior Guinea Pig
You can also use ink free shredded paper. This is a great way to save money. You can boil the paper first to remove the ink, and then crumble up the wet paper so that it resembles Carefresh bedding. Then once the paper dries it will be perfect for bedding.

Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18
I would like fleece bedding, but there are some problems. I have to go to school, which takes a lot of my time. And my mom is allergic to guinea pigs, we did not know this until after she gave me 2 baby boy guinea pigs. So after I play, cuddle, or take them out for floor time, I have to to take a shower. And I don't have time to take 2 or 3 showers a day. So if there any way I can do a poop sweep once a day? Or every other day? And what should I put under the fleece, towels or newspaper? I have a 2 by 4 ft c&c cage with 2 boys. And can I use a pillow case instead of a hoarse bag, because they are expencive.
Ask the others but I would have thought once a day would be fine with just 2 piggys

JenniferG

Teenage Guinea Pig
I'm going to try changing to fleece :) When it comes to drying in the machine, do you dry it in the horse bag that it's been washed in or is it safely hay and fur free when it comes out of the bag after washing?

Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18
I normally have to take it out to shake it again, then straight into the dryer, low heat. Put the horse bag in with the fleece. I don't know if you've looked at the mattress protector if you using it mine says not to tumble dry.

Hank288

Teenage Guinea Pig
I don't put mine in the dryer, I either hang it on the line if its nice weather or hang it on an airer. I didn't want to risk it shrinking in the tumble dryer. I see no reason why you couldn.t dry it in the dryer in the horse bag if you were worried about hair getting anywhere.

In terms of bedding, I have known that Guinea Pigs need soft, absorbent bedding for their cages. One inexpensive but a comfortable bedding for them is Fleece.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
I'm going to try changing to fleece :) When it comes to drying in the machine, do you dry it in the horse bag that it's been washed in or is it safely hay and fur free when it comes out of the bag after washing?
i line dry mine where possible and use the radiators in winter.... i just don't like pet hair so don't want it in my dryer.... altho never get any in the washing machine due to the horse bag....

JenniferG

Teenage Guinea Pig
I have a min-dustpan and brush I'll see if I can use to sweep up the poos...today I remembered that I have a useless, hand held vacuum cleaner that is probably too weak to suck up the fleece!

I found a thicker and cheaper fleece on Zooplus today...I shop from them normally and can't believe I didn't think of checking there first. If I get on with a fleece, I'll probably need a spare for when the other one is being washed and dried.

JenniferG

Teenage Guinea Pig
My vet fleece arrived today...it's 100x75 and I need to wash it first but it hardly fits into the machine! I don't have a small machine, it's a washer/dryer with a decent sized drum but this thing fills it. It has a fairly stiff green backing. I really don't know if I should attempt to use it when it completely fills the drum!

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
My vet fleece arrived today...it's 100x75 and I need to wash it first but it hardly fits into the machine! I don't have a small machine, it's a washer/dryer with a decent sized drum but this thing fills it. It has a fairly stiff green backing. I really don't know if I should attempt to use it when it completely fills the drum!
Probably not....

Where di you get it from. Is it just Fleece? Poundworld sell cheap fleece that wicks well

JenniferG

Teenage Guinea Pig
it's vet fleece with a green backing that wicks, I got it on Amazon but my online pet store sells it too, meant to be super thick and lovely and I've seen others mention it here.

Lily & Rose

Forum Donator 2017/18
it's vet fleece with a green backing that wicks, I got it on Amazon but my online pet store sells it too, meant to be super thick and lovely and I've seen others mention it here.
I cut my vet fleece into smaller bits so that it would fit into the machine. It gets softer the more you wash it.

JenniferG

Teenage Guinea Pig
I gave vet fleece a call and they said it can be washed in a domestic machine. It did fit in with being squished but I don't know how well it can be cleaned that way...I could soak it in the bath and then rinse/spin in the machine but that's all extra work. I'm glad it softens. I might get a fleece without a backing for when I'm washing this one and see what the difference is.

Lily & Rose

Forum Donator 2017/18
I find that you still need an absorbent layer underneath it. I usually use waterproof mattress protectors underneath it. Out of all the bedding I have used, my pigs love vet fleece the most. It's also good as you can wash it at high temperatures and it won't ruin it. I cut my vet fleece into strips of approx 14 inch by 29 inch.
I gave vet fleece a call and they said it can be washed in a domestic machine. It did fit in with being squished but I don't know how well it can be cleaned that way...I could soak it in the bath and then rinse/spin in the machine but that's all extra work. I'm glad it softens. I might get a fleece without a backing for when I'm washing this one and see what the difference is.

JenniferG

Teenage Guinea Pig
I was going to use puppy pads or towels underneath. They say to use a stanley knife to cut with rather than scissors, which is a bit of a nuisance.