1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Discussion in 'Housing and Enrichment' started by sport_billy, May 9, 2014.

1. Lily_pig

Lily_pig Junior Guinea Pig

You can also use ink free shredded paper. This is a great way to save money. You can boil the paper first to remove the ink, and then crumble up the wet paper so that it resembles Carefresh bedding. Then once the paper dries it will be perfect for bedding.

2. SpikeNibbles

SpikeNibbles Junior Guinea Pig

My piggies have fleece

3. Charlotte Lines

Charlotte Lines Junior Guinea Pig

Would it be alright to hoover the fleece cage liners?

4. Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2016/17

Hi I get all my fleeces from the range & I get the mattress protectors from Tesco, they are brilliant. Don't tumble dry the protecters or they shrink. Get the ones with 100% cotton as the top layer

5. Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2016/17

Ask the others but I would have thought once a day would be fine with just 2 piggys

6. Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2016/17

Unfortunately the Hoover will suck up the fleeces

7. JenniferG

JenniferG Junior Guinea Pig

I'm going to try changing to fleece :) When it comes to drying in the machine, do you dry it in the horse bag that it's been washed in or is it safely hay and fur free when it comes out of the bag after washing?

8. Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2016/17

I normally have to take it out to shake it again, then straight into the dryer, low heat. Put the horse bag in with the fleece. I don't know if you've looked at the mattress protector if you using it mine says not to tumble dry.

JenniferG likes this.
  9. Hank288

Forum Donator 2015/16

I don't put mine in the dryer, I either hang it on the line if its nice weather or hang it on an airer. I didn't want to risk it shrinking in the tumble dryer. I see no reason why you couldn.t dry it in the dryer in the horse bag if you were worried about hair getting anywhere.

JenniferG likes this.
  10. Happy_Doodles

Happy_Doodles New Born Pup

In terms of bedding, I have known that Guinea Pigs need soft, absorbent bedding for their cages. One inexpensive but a comfortable bedding for them is Fleece.

JenniferG likes this.
  11. artcasper

artcasper *Rescue Buddy*

i line dry mine where possible and use the radiators in winter.... i just don't like pet hair so don't want it in my dryer.... altho never get any in the washing machine due to the horse bag....

JenniferG likes this.
  12. JenniferG

I have a min-dustpan and brush I'll see if I can use to sweep up the poos...today I remembered that I have a useless, hand held vacuum cleaner that is probably too weak to suck up the fleece!

I found a thicker and cheaper fleece on Zooplus today...I shop from them normally and can't believe I didn't think of checking there first. If I get on with a fleece, I'll probably need a spare for when the other one is being washed and dried.

13. JenniferG

My vet fleece arrived today...it's 100x75 and I need to wash it first but it hardly fits into the machine! I don't have a small machine, it's a washer/dryer with a decent sized drum but this thing fills it. It has a fairly stiff green backing. I really don't know if I should attempt to use it when it completely fills the drum!

14. sport_billy

sport_billy Administrator
    Staff Member

Probably not....

Where di you get it from. Is it just Fleece? Poundworld sell cheap fleece that wicks well

15. JenniferG

it's vet fleece with a green backing that wicks, I got it on Amazon but my online pet store sells it too, meant to be super thick and lovely and I've seen others mention it here.

16. Lily & Rose

Lily & Rose Junior Guinea Pig

I cut my vet fleece into smaller bits so that it would fit into the machine. It gets softer the more you wash it.

JenniferG likes this.
  17. JenniferG

I gave vet fleece a call and they said it can be washed in a domestic machine. It did fit in with being squished but I don't know how well it can be cleaned that way...I could soak it in the bath and then rinse/spin in the machine but that's all extra work. I'm glad it softens. I might get a fleece without a backing for when I'm washing this one and see what the difference is.

18. Lily & Rose

I find that you still need an absorbent layer underneath it. I usually use waterproof mattress protectors underneath it. Out of all the bedding I have used, my pigs love vet fleece the most. It's also good as you can wash it at high temperatures and it won't ruin it. I cut my vet fleece into strips of approx 14 inch by 29 inch.

JenniferG likes this.
  19. JenniferG

I was going to use puppy pads or towels underneath. They say to use a stanley knife to cut with rather than scissors, which is a bit of a nuisance.

20. Lily & Rose

I used fabric scissors. It would probably look neater with a stanley knife though.
    st

JenniferG likes this.