• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah - Ziggies Piggies is in the UK. I am in the US, so that wouldn't work well for me shipping time-wise ;)

You could try this US site: http://piggybedspreads.com/

But they are hideously expensive in my opinion if you have lots of cages. I guess the cost won't be so bad if you consider the amount spent on substrate. I spend £16 every month on substrate for 3 cages only because I choose to carry the huge bag home from the farm shop otherwise it would cost about £30 if I ordered online with postage.

Ah - Ziggies Piggies is in the UK. I am in the US, so that wouldn't work well for me shipping time-wise ;)
I'm sure ziggy does worldwide at very reasonable prices.she is inspirational,and very accomodating.piggy bedspreads look great but not sure if she ships to uk!

I just brought fleeces and am washing them currently to un waterproof them. though I poured water on them today and it soaked through but also left the fleece very wet, will this just be absorbed by the absorbant layer below? I have never used fleece before, I brought micro plush fleeces on my friends advice.
I have also just got a 100% lambs wool mattress topper from the charity shop. Will this be ok and absorbent enough under my girls fleeces? It is really really thick and I hope it was a good find, I am going to chop it into liners.
The girls also have Lino in their hutch so I don't mind if some does leak out.
thanks

Hi,
What do you think is my ideal bedding?
Fleece, cage liners and vetbed are too much work for me. I have 2 sows that live in a 2 level 152 x 60cm hutch.
I am currently using aubiose and ideally want something cheap and that you can buy in large amounts.
Thanks!

i guess the initial outlay of fleece is costly but having spent £30 in 3/4 weeks on Carefresh i can't see how i could afford this over a year..obviously i want the best for my piggies so i would find the money ..

i guess the initial outlay of fleece is costly but having spent £30 in 3/4 weeks on Carefresh i can't see how i could afford this over a year..obviously i want the best for my piggies so i would find the money ..
i got my fleece kids blankets that i use, on special. aus$20 each about £9.98 just keep an eye out for sales

When you talk about bedding, do you mean the floor covering for the whole cage/hutch?

Many years ago, I worked in a pet shop as my Saturday job (I was 14) and they used to advise straw for bedding (ie in the bed side of the hutch) and sawdust/wood chip in the run half of the hutch (if that makes sense).

Straw is dangerous for piggies. I line the hutch with aubiose and hay in the sleeping area if not hay in the whole hutch if it is too if cold.

Ah ok, thanks! Something else I didn't know - so much to learn! Think I might invest in a good book as well as this forum.

Sawdust isn't good either, they have delicate respiratory systems.

I use ziggy's and @MyGuineaPigPals for liners, they've made things so much easier for me. My Mum is now going to make them for us with us having four cages :yikes:

I find fleece on most of the hutch and a load of hay in the bedroom works well with a puppy liner under the hay - will probably move to Snowflake bedding under the hay in the winter as it's more absorbent to ensure the hay stays dry over night.

Hiya.

I have a 2 tier hutch. And for the sleeping area I have a Box and usually fill it with piggies friendly grass and also some soft bedding that I buy from pets at home.

I line the whole hutch with paper and have been using sawdust but I've heard mixed reviews that I shouldn't be using sawdust? Also what's the best thing to use in the run area? As even with the paper lining, they kick the saw dust everywhere.

Hiya @Gem

Guinea pigs should not have sawdust because it is too dusty for them.

My piggies are in a two storey hutch in the garage.
In the living areas they have easibed which is £7 for 20kgs. In the living area they have easibed with meadow hay on top.

In the run you can use fleece or vetbed or you can just put the run on the floor.

I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back