bedding idea and hay help?

Yusuf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey, just wondering, I keep my 3 female piggies in a 5x2 c&c cage on wood shavings with piles of hay spread around to stop them fighting over it, I buy the extra large pack from pets at for about £15 and it lasts me a pretty good while...I no its practically impossible to litter train piggies but was wondering if I could have a med-thick layer of wood shavings and then a thick layer of hay on top so they always have a constant supply, I know a lot of people use fleece, but I don't think it would work for me as I just think that changing it out ever 2-3 days would be more hassle than being able to do a quick spot clean every day and take out soiled shavings

Also I usually buy my bales of hay from my local supermarket, as its cheap and my piggies seem to like it, I've never had an issue with it, but was wondering if it was safe to carry on using it or should I stick to buying hay from a pet shop

Also if anyone has any ideas or tips/tricks to help to litter train the piggies, that would be grand! thanks

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s up to you but I would still do a fairly thick layer of shavings. The hay would have to be removed perhaps every 1-2 days as it would start smelling. There also shouldn’t be any fighting over hay though - what do you mean by that?

Yusuf

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It’s up to you but I would still do a fairly thick layer of shavings. The hay would have to be removed perhaps every 1-2 days as it would start smelling. There also shouldn’t be any fighting over hay though - what do you mean by that?
as in I usually have 3 of everything, so 3 water bottles, 3 hides, 3 piles of hay, plenty of chews and toys, the only thing they all share is the plate of veggies/pellets that i take out after they've eaten everything, just so no one gets territorial over certain items

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My piggies are bedded on a layer of aubiose (when I can get it, if not it’s newspaper or shavings), and then a layer of hay on top of it all. On clean out day, they will eat all of the fresh hay everywhere in their cage. The next day all of that hay becomes bedding and they don’t tend to eat it any more so that’s why their hay is topped up everywhere in their hutch several times a day with wet hay removed everyday.

Pound Shilling & Pig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I keep my piggies on shavings covered with hay which is topped up every day, it works well for me and I feel it is more natural for them being able to walk about and graze as they please rather than having their hay limited to hay racks, etc. I use FSC certified, dust extracted, kiln dried shavings and I buy hay by the bale from a farm.

You can use any (grass) hay so long as it smells nice and not musty and the pigs enjoy eating it.

They tend to do most of their toileting in corners and in their hidies.