• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsWilsoncroft

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What is everyones favourite bedding or housing for the lovely piggies? And do you put hay inside?
i have just ordered him an igloo house to put in the cage.

I have only just got my lil fella and need ideas of what will be best for him. xx

Is Reggie indoors? Mine are on fleece indoors. With megazorb (a type of horse bedding which is really absorbant) in their litter trays and a hay loft. I try and change it up a bit every week when they get a full clean out. Igloo houses are good. Cardboard boxes are a cheap, easy way of entertaining piggies too, just cut holes in for access.

Guineas need a constant supply of clean hay to graze on, they never stop eating :))

Is Reggie indoors? Mine are on fleece indoors. With megazorb (a type of horse bedding which is really absorbant) in their litter trays and a hay loft. I try and change it up a bit every week when they get a full clean out. Igloo houses are good. Cardboard boxes are a cheap, easy way of entertaining piggies too, just cut holes in for access.

Guineas need a constant supply of clean hay to graze on, they never stop eating :))

Reggie is currently indoors, I have got him two cages you see, I have this indoor one and also a lovely outdoor one for when the weather picks up come Spring/Summer time.
At the moment I have a cardboard box in his cage with a hole cut out, he seems to like it and he also has plenty of hay too.
x

Many of us now use fleece with an underlay of newpaper/towels or incontinence pads for indoors cages. Fleece is cheap and widely available in supermarkets and shops like primark (polyester bed spreads, baby blankets).

We have hay lofts or hay/toilet corners with newspaper, megazorb/carefresh/wood shavings and hay on a rack over it. Ideally, you want the tray to have an edge of at least 4in, so you do not get the whole mess all over the place all the time - although a happy, popcorning piggy can't help it....

Have a look at our cage gallery for inspiration. Cardboard houses are perfectly fine and much beloved.

I have ordered this for Reggie, I hope it will make an ideal hiding den for him aswell as somewhere to possibly sleep.
Would you suggest I put hay inside it too?

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/igloo-home-by-savic-15868

Also this is abit of a random question but what is everyones layout of their guinea pig cages?
I'm a little concerned I have things in the wrong position of the cage as he seems to poo in certain areas of the cage and I had to move his food lol. Any photos would be great to give me an idea of a good layout.

Stacey x

Last edited:
Also this is abit of a random question but what is everyones layout of their guinea pig cages?
Any photos would be great to give me an idea of a good layout.
As you're looking at the cage from the top (yeah, I'm a bit bored) the two circles are their bowls

Layout.jpg

I'm a little concerned I have things in the wrong position of the cage as he seems to poo in certain areas of the cage and I had to move his food lol.

This is why I have the hay rack above the litter tray lol

The tunnels move around (either by me or the boys). Under the hay loft is another litter tray and a couple of snuggle sacks which they sleep on top of instead of getting inside them.

cd19ea88.jpg

Damn the photos are not showing up for me, probably they are blocked as I am on works computer. I will have to check them out when I get home.
Thanks guys for sharing x

I've tried attaching it to the post instead, hopefully it will work... I've never done it before :p

Thanks Bailey thats fab, It is pretty much how I have it now then, I dont have a litter tray though but I am going to buy one now.
Any recommendations? Also where do you get the hay racks from?
Cheers x

Thanks Bailey thats fab, It is pretty much how I have it now then, I dont have a litter tray though but I am going to buy one now.
Any recommendations? Also where do you get the hay racks from?
Cheers x

My hay rack came with the cage, but you can get them from most pet shops. Be careful to avoid ones like this http://www.bunnybasics.net/images/supreme-hay-rack2.jpg it has a sticky out bit for attaching mineral wheels on to which they don't need, and they can poke their eyes on them.

Mine is one of these http://www.bunnybasics.net/small-animal-feeder-p-1392.html and attachs to the outside so it doesn't take room in the cage.

I've got a corner litter tray which was from P@H cost about £6 though. I should've just got a small cat one from Poundstretcher thinking about it :))

As you're looking at the cage from the top (yeah, I'm a bit bored) the two circles are their bowls

Layout.jpg

This is why I have the hay rack above the litter tray lol

Hello Bailey, do they use the litter tray? My boys do try to keep it tidy and I was wondering if it was worth investing in one?

Cheers Paula x

Hello Bailey, do they use the litter tray? My boys do try to keep it tidy and I was wondering if it was worth investing in one?

Cheers Paula x

They do most of them time, they're not litter trained by any means but most poops do end up in the tray.

I moved the hay rack recently to another part of the cage and did notice less poops being done in the litter tray. So I've moved it back to by the litter tray and it's improved again. I think they like to eat and poop at the same time rolleyes

Here a some pics of my layout. It's a new cage which is bigger than my previous cage and I'm still trying to get used to it.

IMGP1317.jpg

IMGP1316.jpg

IMGP1315.jpg

Wow your cage is fab :)
How many piggies do you keep in the cage?
I love the little step and hiding area. My cage was given to me by the rescue place but didnt have anything like that in it.
I was hoping I could maybe order something like that off the internet, do you think this is possible?
x

Hiya - I'm so glad to hear you are looking into buying lots of lovely things for Reggie, it really is exciting. What sort of cage are you looking for?

Sandra - your cage looks fab, what kind of size is it and where did you get it from? I'm looking into getting a new cage as I'd like to keep my two inside now. They've only been outside during the day in the recent summer that we've had, then I always bring them in in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back