• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Beginner mistakes as first time owners

I got 3 baby brothers/cousins from the SSPCA, intending to pair one of them with a single foster boar..... So I put them all in together to see who he got on with the best. First time I ever saw guinea pigs fight. Still, the rescue took the single boar back and I ended up with my lovely trio of boars who are still getting along, despite the odds.

I thought their little pink cage was big!
Fortunately they were tiny babies and didn’t really “outgrow” it, and I added a run shortly after getting Bacon!

I also probably overfed with pellets and veggies (but that was only when they had them)

It’s so weird to think that all of this wasn’t long ago... I like to think I give my piggies a good life now, but I’m still learning!

As a child we got a 3rd hand male guinea who we put in the hutch with my female rabbit. They both had rabbit muesli. Luckily the rabbit mothered the guniea pig and was always grooming him. The poor rabbit often had what I now know to be boar glue in her fur which we had to cut out.
They both use to go out in the garden run all day in summer, no thought about suddenly having unlimited grass. In winter we'd bring them both into the kitchen for a run round, he enjoyed that.
Poor guy got a huge tumour under his chin, it didn't seem to bother him so we never took him to the vets. Towards the end he had to lift his chin up to run round. I found him dead in the hutch one day with the poor rabbit going frantic. Breaks my heart to this day. Must be 30 years ago.

I got three boars because they are bonded no problems yet fingers crossed

It all depends on their age, personalities and space. Plenty of unpredictables in there. Boar trios aren’t impossible. I’ve seen several successful ones. Just not for the faint hearted.

Back