Behavior issue between two males

Oreo and olive

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey so I’m a new piggy owner and I have to make guinea pigs, one is Oreo who is almost 6 months and one is olive who is almost 7 months. So they both live in the same cage and it’s a pretty big cage (2 by 4) and I have two of everything in there and they always seem to be fine in the cage together other than the normal little behaviors but as soon as I take them out for playtime Oreo starts acting up like he starts mounting and teeth chattering and butt sniffing and olive tries to get away but Oreo continues and I always try to break up if I feel like it might be violent which it hasn’t yet but being a new piggy owner it gets rly scary. So I’m not sure why this is happening and why this mainly only happens when I take them out for playtime. Please if anyone had any comments to help me, please do :).

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How long have they been together again? There will be dominance behaviour in new territory. That’s likely why Oreo is mounting and teeth chattering etc. You have to leave them to it and let them sort themselves out. If Olive is submissive and let’s himself be mounted/humped or is squeaking in submission then it’s fine. Otherwise it all sounds normal to me.

Just something to bear in mind. 2x4 is suited you a sow pair or a boar and sow. Boars should ideally be in a 2x5 at the smallest. So you’re best expanding it.

Oreo and olive

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you and yes I will be expanding it. So it’s normal for them to be doing this while
Playtime ?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I agree with @Siikibam. It is entirely normal for boars to mount and chase, particularly in a new area as they need to reestablish themselves. As long as the submissive remains submissive then there isn’t a problem.
You only need to be concerned if a full on blood drawing fight occurs (in which case they need to be immediately and permanently separated), or if it turns into bullying whereby the dominant piggy does not ever let the submissive piggy rest or eat to the point where the submissive loses weight due to not being allowed to eat and becomes depressed . Otherwise, you need to leave them to go through their processes. While they are in their teens, then you will see a lot of mounting and chasing behaviours, but they will do this throughout their whole lives, it just calms down a bit once they get older.

Do increase their cage if possible though - a 2x5 c&c (or a hutch or cage measuring 6ft x 2ft/180cm x 60cm) is recommended for two boars to prevent lack of space causing problems Cage Size Guide

The guides below explain more about boar behaviour

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey so I’m a new piggy owner and I have to make guinea pigs, one is Oreo who is almost 6 months and one is olive who is almost 7 months. So they both live in the same cage and it’s a pretty big cage (2 by 4) and I have two of everything in there and they always seem to be fine in the cage together other than the normal little behaviors but as soon as I take them out for playtime Oreo starts acting up like he starts mounting and teeth chattering and butt sniffing and olive tries to get away but Oreo continues and I always try to break up if I feel like it might be violent which it hasn’t yet but being a new piggy owner it gets rly scary. So I’m not sure why this is happening and why this mainly only happens when I take them out for playtime. Please if anyone had any comments to help me, please do :).
Hi!

Please take the time to carefully read these two guide links here. 6 months is one of the most difficult teenage period as it is the weeks where the testosterone is at an life time high. The guides will tell you more about the teenage, what you can do, what you shouldn't do, what you need to look out for and how you can judge whether the bond is still functional or not. Yours is a bit dicey but not quite at breaking point yet.

Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars (contains a chapter on boar do's and dont's)

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs