• This weekend was forum pride! We hope you had a great time, the section will remain open to read over the information threads, so dont worry if you missed last night. Visit the section HERE

Behaviour change

Marie1402

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, looking for some advice I have to boars, one has always been considerably bigger than the other sometimes trying to flip the smaller one. Yesterday I noticed when they were in their out door run the big one was chasing the other teeth chattering type thing, this happened couple of times so I removed the small to stop any potential fight. But when I put him back in similar happened, the smaller one seems afraid of the other one now, staying in corner of cage, these are my first set of pigs and are roughly 4 years old. Any advice gladly received, many thanks

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Chasing and chattering is a mild dominance behaviour. Removing one won’t help as they will just go back to it when you put them together. As long as they aren’t fighting, then leave them together to sort it out between them. Always leave boars together at all times unless their bond completely breaks down.

How long have you had them?
Is their cage big enough?
do you always ensure you handle the dominant piggy first to respect their hierarchy?

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Bonds In Trouble

Marie1402

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I've had them about 3 years, yeah cage and all is fine, didn't realise about handling dominant one first though, thanks for your help.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It sounds just like mild dominance for now. Sometimes it can happen.
Keep an eye on it and ensure there isn’t an issue with their bond occurring. Sadly it can suddenly happen