Behaviour In My New Sows

Status
Not open for further replies.

stacey1234

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

My new piggies seem to be settling in good, we have a 45min-1hr lap time twice a day (some times shorter if the piggies indicate they have had enough)
I often bring out some treats as they both still seem frightened. Most lap times the piggies will nudge them selfs right under the other one and squeak quite loudly. It happens out of the blue. Is this normal? I am applying a ring worm cream to them twice a day which i can't imagine being very good when I'm trying to bond with them, i do this at the very begining of lap time.
There has also been a lot of different squeaks going on in the cage from low to louder with a lot of running about. I can't get to see whats happening as they just scatter when i move near. I have two houses, two bowls and loads of hay to make it fair.

After lap time i sit at the cage and they are more than happy to come out and eat in front of me, there is no aggression, they share their leaves, its sweet. They are still very nervous- its only been a week they have been in their new home. Just wanted to check for advise if all is okay :luv:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Here are tips for handling piggies: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/

Your are still rather nervous, so they tend to spook and seek to hide where they can. Be patient; they will eventually come round. piggies are prey animals, so those instincts take time to allay.

Young piggies are very vocal and they can be proper little drama queens that shut up only when they are asleep. Part of it is dominance, but also excitement, expressing their feelings or just saying that they are on the move and OK. You will learn over time to distinguish what is what. At first, a lot sounds very similar. Take heart in that having vocal piggies is a very good sign! Deeply afraid piggies are usually very quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.