• This weekend was forum pride! We hope you had a great time, the section will remain open to read over the information threads, so dont worry if you missed last night. Visit the section HERE

Being Dominant?

LillyB

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have had my 2 piggies indoors all day today due to the hot weather and they have loved it......they are now back in their shed and while in there checking they are ok, one of them was making a very deep throated noise and was walking very low around the other ones neck almost trying to intimidate her. They jumped at each other and we have never witnessed this from them before so not sure what this means. They are 2 sisters aged 13 weeks......not sure if one of them is showing dominance towards the other? She recently found her squeaking voice she seems very proud of while the other is very quiet. Should I be worried about this? I waited around in the shed to see if it was just a 'one-off' thing, but she did it several times and tried to block the food bowl from the other one getting anything! Any advice on this please? Thankyou 😊

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It could be the change in environment which has caused this. Hopefully it’ll be temporary and they will settle down.

My two boys do the same thing once they’ve been indoors - they go back into their shed and show dominance for a little while, I then feed them, they forget all about it and carry on as normal! Although the way things are going here, my two will have to stay indoors for the night, their shed thermometer is showing 39 degrees :yikes:

Do you only have one food bowl? If so, that’s not ideal, you should always have two of every item so hogging can’t occur, or don’t use bowls at all and instead scatter feed veg and pellets.

LillyB

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Wow, 39 degrees! 😳 Thankfully the temperature here has dropped so they are able to go back into their shed and they are currently lounging one on each floor, like nothing happened!

I will keep an eye on them and as you say hopefully they will settle down.

Thats a great tip with their bowls.....they have 2 separate bowls of pellets but i had been putting their veg in one bowl for them both. I will now go and scatter it out for them instead. They have lots of hay scattered around so they can both get to that.

Thankyou for your advice.....i don't think this hot weather is helping....i hope it drops down for you soon! 😃

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Scattering also encourages foraging which keeps them occupied and encourages natural behaviours. My two spend ages searching for their pellets in amongst a hay pile!

I’ve just put them out on the lawn where they can stay until just before dark, I’ll reassess where they spend the night then!

LillyB

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thats a great idea.....that will certainly keep them both occupied! Have just been out to see them now and and they are asleep side by side looking very innocent!

It really has been far too hot today.....the girls have been indoors with us today very chilled out! 😀