• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bell pepper

Henry_Yandell

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just thought I’d share an example of how picky guinea pigs can be whilst trying new foods. I gave Brussel and Sprout each a large-ish (about 5cmx5cm each) piece of bell pepper, Brussel had already had experience with this and ate it straight away however sprout wouldn’t touch it. Then just as an experiment I took a tiny piece off that would mostly be covered by fingers when pinched and tried hand feeding it to her, of course she was suddenly addicted to it and ran straight to the big piece to finish it off 🙄😂

Question is, do guinea pigs take looks into account and can certain colours intimidate/scare them?

😂 these piggies are always keeping us entertained!
I wouldn’t have thought colour has anything to do with it,more likely she was unsure because it’s new to her?
is she comfortable eating around the other piggie?

That's interesting. Maybe Sprout hadn't had it before? Certain colours of pepper are stronger (green) while some sweeter (red).

One thing I have observed with my younger piggies is that they steal a small chunk from another pig. Kind of like, "oh it's safe for them let's quickly have a bite of the same piece because I know that piece is safe". Sprout may have been thinking along the same lines with you and that small piece of pepper.

Remember, pigs can't vomit so they need to be sure that the food is safe before consuming it and the way they do that is by stealing or tasting little bits from those higher up in the hierarchy. :)

If one of my piggies seems scared or hesitant to take food from me, the fastest way to get him to come around is to give it to the other piggy. Then the race is on and they both eat as fast as they can! If neither piggy is taking food, I'll take a bite of it and chew it in front of them. Not sure if they see me as a big piggy or if the crunching sounds are just too enticing, but it works like a charm.

Back