• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Benny isn't well

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul1979uk

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
He can hardly walk, he's making a kind of gulping noise and is opening his mouth wide every time he breaths. He isn't interested in eating. His legs seem really really weak :( Charlie is fine, he's popcorning all over the place.

Edit: We've just found an out of hours vet. Will report back on the poor fella.

oh no, poor thing, i had a boy that happened too, good luck with the vet, keep us updated, sending vibes x

Thinking of you, please let us know how he gets on x

We're back now. Unfortunately the vet said he was in a lot of pain, she wasn't sure why but said it looked like some kind of trauma from a mysterious injury or maybe pneumonia. To xray she'd have needed to use general anaesthetic and she didn't think he would wake up from that, such was his state. We elected to let the poor little fella go. RIP Benny, 8 months old and survived by brother Charlie. Girlfriend is distraught.

Oh I am so sorry to hear of your loss, take comfort in the fact that he was seen quickly and was with you both at the end xx

Also really sorry for your loss. These little guys head downhill so quickly. Sending Big Love X x

They really do don't they. He was fine yesterday then within one day at the point of no return.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.
RIP precious Benny. Run free baby x

omg so sorry, it sounded like what my boy had, and the vet told me it was pneumonia, its horrible to see them gasping for air like that, at least he isnt in pain any more.

Rip Benny, sleep well xxxxxx

omg so sorry, it sounded like what my boy had, and the vet told me it was pneumonia, its horrible to see them gasping for air like that, at least he isnt in pain any more.

Rip Benny, sleep well xxxxxx

Thanks for your kind words everyone, ill thank you all individually when I get chance. They aren't my pigs, I've never been keen on animals or particularly upset when family pets have died, but I'm pretty depressed about this. I'm also gutted gor the girlfrien as she is devestated. We buried him this morning, wrapped in a fleece inan air tight tub with some parsley for his journey to pig heaven. Under a little tree.

Doglovin, how did ** pig get pneumonia? I'm worried about charlie now. Vet thought could be an injury or pneumonia. He'd been coughing for cpl of weeks but girlf said only when eating so put it down to his greed, eating too quickly. They're in a warm room. Culd it be from not drying after a bath?

I'm so sorry your little one didn't make it. Sweet dreams Benny.

Thanks for your kind words everyone, ill thank you all individually when I get chance. They aren't my pigs, I've never been keen on animals or particularly upset when family pets have died, but I'm pretty depressed about this. I'm also gutted gor the girlfrien as she is devestated. We buried him this morning, wrapped in a fleece inan air tight tub with some parsley for his journey to pig heaven. Under a little tree.

Doglovin, how did ** pig get pneumonia? I'm worried about charlie now. Vet thought could be an injury or pneumonia. He'd been coughing for cpl of weeks but girlf said only when eating so put it down to his greed, eating too quickly. They're in a warm room. Culd it be from not drying after a bath?

maybe, did that happen with Benny? i would always dry fully after a bath, even in summer as they really are prone to stuff like this.

The thing is, i know its really upsetting, but at least we can learn from these things and you and/or your g/f will know better for in the future, aww she must be heartbroken.

There is loads of info about stuff on here, you just need to search for things. My boy started with a URI and was being treated for that, hes was on Baytril and we thought he had recovered, but then he ended up like that one day gasping for breath and they said they thought it could have turned into pneumonia. They did also say they thought he might have had underlying heart problem after looking at the sack underneath his chin and they did say why they thought that, but I'm really sorry i cant remember what they said as i was so traumatised at the thought of having my baby pts there and then :0

maybe, did that happen with Benny? i would always dry fully after a bath, even in summer as they really are prone to stuff like this.

The thing is, i know its really upsetting, but at least we can learn from these things and you and/or your g/f will know better for in the future, aww she must be heartbroken.

There is loads of info about stuff on here, you just need to search for things. My boy started with a URI and was being treated for that, hes was on Baytril and we thought he had recovered, but then he ended up like that one day gasping for breath and they said they thought it could have turned into pneumonia. They did also say they thought he might have had underlying heart problem after looking at the sack underneath his chin and they did say why they thought that, but I'm really sorry i cant remember what they said as i was so traumatised at the thought of having my baby pts there and then :0

Yes she baths them and then towel dries them gently because she doesn't want to be too rough. They're still a little 'matted' when back in their cage so it could have been that. She'll be destroyed if she thinks it might be her fault but as you say she has to learn for next time.

Ill keep an eye on poor Charlie but he was in fine form last night, jumping around the place and making my girlfriend laugh a bit, he cheered her up bless him. Will have to get him a friend though I think, he's never been on his own before and now he's lost his brother. Poor fella.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back