• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

COVID-19 Bereaved boar and tier 4

BlueBird

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there, (Apologies for the accidental ryhming title)

So we are now in a bit of a pickle when it comes to our pigs. Harvey is now all alone after our last sow Belle died on the 20th. This was probably the worst time for her to leave us as most rescues (quite rightly) were closed this close to Christmas and even if they were open, the humans were too busy in the run up to Christmas to do anything about it.

Now we've gone into tier 4, we have a bit of a dilemma. I notice in the govt advice is going to adopt an animal is not a reasonable excuse to leave your home. This seems wise if you're adopting a new puppy or something but isn't really helpful if you've got a lonely guinea pig, rabbit etc.

So the plan to get him a lady friend or two in the new year when the rescues reopen has now been scuppered a bit. And I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do about it.

Just like to add that Harvey is an indoor pig and he lives right next to our kitchen in the centre of our flat so he can (and does) get plenty of attention from us. But he's definitely not a person pig. He is very skittish and shy, does not like being handled (he even cries sometimes if we try to pick him up) and if I had £1 for everytime he sprinted for safety because we simply walked past his cage when he didn't notice us coming, I would be a wealthy woman by now. We thought that being on his own might tame him up a bit but I think the opposite is probably true. He's got no one's skirts to hid behind or a paw to hold now.

Anyway, any advice for an owner of a single pig in a bit of a tier 4 shaped pickle would be much appreciated. As I have no idea how long this is going to last, Harvey could now potentially be alone for months. Rather than the 3 weeks ish I had planned.

In Tier 4 you are allowed to leave home for animal welfare reasons, and in this case I think getting a friend for a bereaved boar would count as animal welfare.
I would contact local rescues and ask if they are still rehoming, and explain your situation.
As long as the handover can take place outside and doesn't break any of the contact rules then I think rehoming for a welfare reasons does not count as simply 'adopting' or buying a new pet.

The difficulty is that many of the rescues in Tier 4 (ours included) have taken the decision to close their doors. It’s heartbreaking for rescues, too.

It’s a tough one all round.
Let’s Hope and pray the these severe restrictions don’t last too long and you can find a friend for Harvey soon.

So sorry you’ve lost Belle, sending hugs x
It’s a really difficult situation, I hope you can find a friend for Harvey very soon

Thank you all for your kind words. This Covid lark is really getting in the way of things isn't it!

Little update on Harvey. He seems to have slipped into those guineas who outwardly don't seem all that bothered that he's alone but of course I know he's better off with a girlfriend. Humans are just a bit too scary for him sometimes so it's just a matter of when (not if) we can find him some company.

Now it's officially the new year, I've started sending feelers out to my more local Nottingham rescues. I'd normally stick to the forum rescues but due to the tier 4 restrictions and the fact we'd be reliant on public transport or a hire car I'm just not comfortable travelling out of my city and potentially spreading bugs to salt of the earth people who run rescues.

Stalking on Facebook, seems to have found a Nottingham rescue that may still be open. I've sent them a message to confirm so we'll see whether that bares fruit. They'd taken in a bunch of pregnant sows just before Christmas so even if we need to wait a week or two until (fingers and toes crossed) govt advice changes. It might work out in our favour, as those new mums might be interested in our newly eligible, torti bachelor. Understandably, they have a "no visitors on the entire premises" policy. So if they are open, it's going to feel very odd handing him over in a box at the end of the driveway. It's going to feel a little bit like I'm giving him up rather than adding to my mini herd. :/ But I guess it's going to be a nice surprise to see who he picks - mind you his such a big girl's blouse it's probably more likely the ladies will be choosing him. :D

As I say keep your paws crossed!

I will ask all my pets to cross their paws for you. 6 rabbits, 5 guinea pigs, 4 mice, 2 hamsters and 2 dogs!

This Covid situation really is causing havoc isn’t it? I’ve been on the look out for a sow or two for my Edward and Elizabeth for quite some time now with no luck. But I hope you can find Harvey a friend real soon x

Back