• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bereaved piggie

Rachel88

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, sadly in the early hours we lost our very much loved girly Mavis 💔

I’m hoping that you would be able to provide me with some advice on how to help our bereaved piggie Winnie? Thankfully we were all able to say goodbye, Winnie included and this morning she seems ok. I’m just not sure what to do next for her, we have left the bedding the same so it still smells of Mavis. I feel awful for saying this but at what point should we start at looking for a new cage mate? She is normally never more than an inch from Mavis’s side so I don’t want to leave it too long and then she ends poorly. Also any advice on how to find a suitable cage mate welcome.

Thanks Rach

p.s pic attached of our gorgeous Mavis 😘0E4EF314-7ED9-4EB6-A24D-52DC2F66581E.jpeg

Attachments

• EB4028E0-107B-4525-88A7-CE1C5BC22F81.jpeg
    EB4028E0-107B-4525-88A7-CE1C5BC22F81.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 11
  • A350DBFE-B8EE-49EA-B585-87BB24FE913A.jpeg
    A350DBFE-B8EE-49EA-B585-87BB24FE913A.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 13
  • E511C06A-2E6C-4E56-B2BA-EAF76F3D0358.jpeg
    E511C06A-2E6C-4E56-B2BA-EAF76F3D0358.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 11
I am so sorry for your loss.

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig. This link should help you with what to do for Winnie.

You need to let her guide you as to when she is ready for a new cage mate. If she shows signs of loneliness, then you may find you need to get her a new friend sooner rather than later. Weigh her daily to ensure she is still eating enough. As hay makes up the largest part of their diet, you can’t gauge a good intake by eye.

In terms of finding a new friend, character compatibility and mutual liking is key to a successful bond. The best way to find a new friend is to go to a rescue centre. They can help you find a new friend for her. In some centres you can go dating - you take your piggy to them and then your piggy can choose their own friend, either another female or a neutered boar, which makes for a much better bond. If they don’t do dating, then they will still be able to help you. Often they say you can take a piggy, try to bond yourself at home, but if it doesn’t work then you can take the piggy back and try another. If you go out and just buy a new piggy from a pet shop, then there is no guarantee of success.

It is soo very hard, broken doesn’t come close. Just glad I was able to be with her when she passed.

Thank you for your advice it’s very much appreciated. I will take a look at the link and will weigh her daily and follow her lead.

thanks again Rach

So sorry for your loss. Finding a cage mate can be as soon as you think necessary really. When one of my pigs died, the remaining pig went to be bonded with another boy at a rescue after no more than 3 days. He wasn’t in acute pining, but he seemed lonely and sad. I didn’t want to leave it longer than it needed as being in pairs is ultimately the best thing for them. So you can set up bonding sessions in a few days, or you can wait a week or two and see how you feel, it’s totally up to you and how you think your remaining pig is behaving.
So sorry for your loss once again :(

So sorry for your loss. Finding a cage mate can be as soon as you think necessary really. When one of my pigs died, the remaining pig went to be bonded with another boy at a rescue after no more than 3 days. He wasn’t in acute pining, but he seemed lonely and sad. I didn’t want to leave it longer than it needed as being in pairs is ultimately the best thing for them. So you can set up bonding sessions in a few days, or you can wait a week or two and see how you feel, it’s totally up to you and how you think your remaining pig is behaving.
So sorry for your loss once again :(
Thank you. She seems ok and is still eating so I will just take it day by day. I feel soo guilty even thinking about it 😢 but at the same time I’m worried that Winnie will get poorly if I leave her on her own for too long. So hard.
Thanks again for your advice

Thank you. She seems ok and is still eating so I will just take it day by day. I feel soo guilty even thinking about it 😢 but at the same time I’m worried that Winnie will get poorly if I leave her on her own for too long. So hard.
Thanks again for your advice

It’s never easy and you still have to give yourself time to grieve. Guinea pigs grieve in the same way but It is likely she will be ready for a new friend sooner than you would be

So sorry for your loss... We lost Pippin on Christmas day and her cage mate Winny found 2 new friends just the other day.. She was very quiet after Pippin died but was eating well etc but I also didnt want to leave her alone for too long.. it was very hard as you feel guilty and happy at the same time..

It’s never easy and you still have to give yourself time to grieve. Guinea pigs grieve in the same way but It is likely she will be ready for a new friend sooner than you would be
She doesn’t seem fased but then Mavis has been poorly for the last week so I’m guessing she knew. We will do what we have to whenever Winnie needs it however hard ❤️

So sorry for your loss... We lost Pippin on Christmas day and her cage mate Winny found 2 new friends just the other day.. She was very quiet after Pippin died but was eating well etc but I also didnt want to leave her alone for too long.. it was very hard as you feel guilty and happy at the same time..
Thank you, I too am sorry for your loss 😔 I am glad your Winny has found some new friends. Our Winnie is eating well too so will just take her lead x

It definitely feels like she will be ready long before us.

Thank you, I too am sorry for your loss 😔 I am glad your Winny has found some new friends. Our Winnie is eating well too so will just take her lead x
That's all you can do.. are u near any rescues that offer bonding?

That's all you can do.. are u near any rescues that offer bonding?
Not that I’m aware of, Were in Milton Keynes so if anyone knows of any it would be a great help. She’s starting to fret a little now so i think we may need to consider it sooner rather than later.

So sorry you lost Mavis, she looked a lovely piggie x
Sleep tight gorgeous girl x

Go with the flow, you will know when she is ready x

Thank you, I have found a rescue locally so will contact them in the coming days, th an you for your help
Aww that's good... a rescue is a great option especially if they offer a bonding service..

Aww that's good... a rescue is a great option especially if they offer a bonding service..
Yeah we didn’t want to buy, we did that when we got the girls and Winnie was pregnant so we now have 3 boys too. I think we’re going to get her a husband this time. I have messaged them so will hopefully hear back soon. I will keep you all updated 😊

Back