• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bereaved Piggy Is Struggling.

See how she is on Monday and continue to syringe feed for the time being. It takes time for meds to work. Please also remember that poos reflect what has happened a day or two before, so you are not yet supposed to see any changes. ;)

Please try to de-stress yourself and make sure that you look after yourself, too. Your apprehensions can transmit.

The poos do not look great, but they also do not look alarming. Add a pinch of probiotics to the syringe feed to help support the guts.

Ok..I know I'm stressing myself out but after losing Prim, feeling a bit poorly, and then not eating/sleeping well I'm in a right state. It's all so emotional and so hard to see Katniss just lie there all day on her side.

I think I'm going to ring the vets just to ask if they think I need critical care for her.

Ok..I know I'm stressing myself out but after losing Prim, feeling a bit poorly, and then not eating/sleeping well I'm in a right state. It's all so emotional and so hard to see Katniss just lie there all day on her side.

I think I'm going to ring the vets just to ask if they think I need critical care for her.

I would strongly suggest to always have some critical care (ideally fine grind) at home, as well as probiotics. They are part of the first aid kit we recommend to any new owners.Being able to step in with syringe feed as soon as your piggy is off its food/losing weight is absolutely vital.
First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs

Well the good news is she much prefers the critical care to mashed pellets, although her patience is wearing thin with being syringe fed.

Well the good news is she much prefers the critical care to mashed pellets, although her patience is wearing thin with being syringe fed.

Would you consider trying to see whether she'll eat from a spoon or even a bowl by herself? As the meds kick in, it can well be that her appetite is also picking up.

Yes I'll try that shortly. She's still not eating anything in the cage though, even her favourite hay.

Sending lots of good wishes to you both. Does she like lap time? If so some cuddles without meds/feeding could be relaxing for both of you.

I do hope you see an improvement soon.

Would you consider trying to see whether she'll eat from a spoon or even a bowl by herself? As the meds kick in, it can well be that her appetite is also picking up.

She's still refusing to eat anything given by hand, bowl, or spoon. Have barely seen her pick at hay, I mean virtually nothing all day and I've had my eye on her most of the time. No drinking from bottle either. Have hat to syringe CC and water with probiotics in. After a certain point she starts spitting all the CC out and I really don't think she's getting as much as she needs. However her weight does seem to have stayed stable somehow the last few days.

Could you tempt her with some dried herbs? I think mentioning pain relief to the vet would be a good idea.

Katniss appears to have given up..all she does is lie stretched out in the hidey, she doesn't come out, eat, or drink. I am syringe feeding and watering, using probiotics and CC. This is the last day of her gut stimulant medication. She seems to be maintaining weight but that must be from the syringe feeding. It is heartbreaking to see her like this.

Will go back the vets tomorrow. The other thing was that he found a single cyst on one ovary and a multi-cyst on the other. Could this be causing her pain/illness as well as the grief? I need to decide whether or not to spay her.

Very excited- within minutes of writing that and booking a vets appointment for tomorrow morning she is now eating some hay! First time I have seen her do it in days. I'm terrified to move a muscle in case she stops.

She had a nibble of hay for a few minutes and took 2 small pieces of kale from my hand, although she wouldn't pick them off the floor.

Am still going the vets tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the ongoing support it really calms me to come on and see replies.

Good that she has eaten some hay. I think it is possible the cyst is affecting her. I would opt for pain relief and see if that helps and then see what the vet suggests for the cyst.

Katniss had to be put to sleep this afternoon. We made the decision to operate as the vet found a large suspicious lump as well as the cysts. It was too large, well connected and invasive to treat and we decided it would be kinder to put her to sleep.

Can't believe I have lost both my girls within a week. I'm absolutely devastated. Finn is now on his own and very confused.

Katniss had to be put to sleep this afternoon. We made the decision to operate as the vet found a large suspicious lump as well as the cysts. It was too large, well connected and invasive to treat and we decided it would be kinder to put her to sleep.

Can't believe I have lost both my girls within a week. I'm absolutely devastated. Finn is now on his own and very confused.
I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Katniss and Primrose.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together, never to be separated again.

Author unknown...

I've read that a few times now, my poor boy. He was a depressed rescue pig who turned into the happiest guy around once he had his girls.

Am messaging rescues as we speak because I don't want to resort to P@H. I'm away Sunday-Saturday so I guess this week is better than in 2 weeks time.

I'm really not feeling up to getting a new one, it feels like I'm replacing them. But I know it's best for Finn.

Back