• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bereavement dilema

Guineapig lover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sadly, pebbles passed away this morning unexpectedly, which was a bit of a shock. And I’m left with a dilemma. Her companion, Peach is only 4.5 years old (female, spade) who has quite a feisty/bossy personality has been left on her own.
Normally I’d jump at the chance of adopting a companion as I know guinea pigs don’t do well on their own. But peach has had on/off health issues with bladder stones which often require treatment. So I’m not sure if getting another Guinea pig is such a good idea, as I don’t know how her health will be long term. And she was often bad tempered with pebbles. Do you have any thoughts? (I live in Gloucestershire)

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is difficult when they pass away so suddenly. With regards Peach, they are really social and do need that companionship, regardless of health issues. When you say bad tempered, what do you mean? I would take her dating at a rescue if possible) and maybe consider a boar pairing. Alternatively, there are some rescues that offer foster piggies who you can "return" to them once your piggy passes. I wouldn't keep her alone as she could have another 2yrs in her. That would be a long time to be alone.

She would sometimes chase pebbles around & I could hear pebbles wheeking, and generally she is pretty feisty. but in all fairness she is much more chilled now she’s been spade. I looked previously at potential adoption when we had a near miss with peach but could hardly find any guinea pigs in the Gloucestershire region. I’ll have a think about looking again. Do many guinea pigs live past 4/5 years?

Yes they can do. There are many piggies in here that have made 5-6 years. A few even longer. Have a look at the rescue locator and get in touch with some rescues. Remember they don’t put singles on their websites.

Chasing isn’t being bad tempered, it’s part of dominance behaviour and making sure under pig knows their position.
Rescue Locator

Sadly, pebbles passed away this morning unexpectedly, which was a bit of a shock. And I’m left with a dilemma. Her companion, Peach is only 4.5 years old (female, spade) who has quite a feisty/bossy personality has been left on her own.
Normally I’d jump at the chance of adopting a companion as I know guinea pigs don’t do well on their own. But peach has had on/off health issues with bladder stones which often require treatment. So I’m not sure if getting another Guinea pig is such a good idea, as I don’t know how her health will be long term. And she was often bad tempered with pebbles. Do you have any thoughts? (I live in Gloucestershire)

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry about your loss.

Below is the link to our recommended good welfare standard rescues locator; it contains all the carefully vetted rescues we can guarantee that you and your piggies are in good hands. I would recommend that you speak to the one in Bristol as the Blue Cross in Burford doesn't do rescue dating, which will allow your girl a say in whether or who she wants to live with. Rescues are a lot more aware of the need of companionship for 'end of the line' piggies and many offer solutions with the adoptee returning to the rescue afterwards.

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Rescue Locator

Are you filtering your water and have you reduced your pellets to max 1 tablespoon per piggy per day? Most people are not aware that more calcium in a piggy diet comes via the water (even more so in hard water areas) and that even no added calcium pellets still contain more calcium weight per weight than the veg highest in calcium. It is also important to flush the bladder regularly; stone piggies are often not big drinkers; in this case, upping the high water/low calcium veg can help them to take on more fluid via their veg.
We do have diet advice for guinea pigs with bladder problems in this link here; you can find it in the chapter on special diets. Please be aware that diet changes take several weeks to filter through the body as the calcium absorption process is very complex and some contributing factors are beyond control, but diet is the most effective measure we can take as owners for the longer term. Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

PS: Has Pebbles been vet checked for ovarian cysts?
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

PS2: The oldest guinea pig I have ever given a home to was a 7 years old widow; she lived to celebrate her 9th birthday thanks to regaining her zest for life with my own peru diva widow Tegan (the baby in my avatar on the left).

Thanks wiebke! Yes I use filter water as we have very hard water here. But I didn’t know about reducing the pellets. I will do that and revisit the special diet post. Yes peach did have ovarian cysts and we had her spade. She was a much nicer piggie after the operation. Although the recuperation was hard work for 24 hours for the both of us! I’ll check out the rescue centre.

Sorry about your loss. The current situation makes it so much more difficult. I would do few dates and see if she's happy? When I took my piggie for a date, after he lost his brother, I could see the change straight away and knew he's been missing his brother. But he's a very chilled out boy...
Age wise, they can live over 5yrs. I have a 6yrs old and an 9yrs old (and two younger boys).

Sending you hugs, I’m so sorry you have lost Pebbles x
Sleep tight little one 🌈

When my Bill died I was desperately looking for a friend for my Ted just before lockdown. I can thoroughly recommend Little Wheekers in Bristol. They were prepared to take Ted for a couple of weeks (we live 200 miles away) and bond him with some of their lone boars and were really helpful. We decided on getting Ted neutered and got two little ladies from a local rescue in the end, but they were such nice people

So sorry for your loss.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.
Hope you can find a good solution for Peaches.
Holding you in my heart

Hi guys thanks for the support and advice. I am indeed talking to little wheakers, I don’t think I could have it on my conscience leaving her on her own. They don’t have any girls but have quite a few boys (one is neutered) and peach is spayed so strongly thinking about it. Bit nervous about male Guinean pigs as I haven’t had one before. Hopefully I can still travel to them in tier 4 restrictions.

Hi guys thanks for the support and advice. I am indeed talking to little wheakers, I don’t think I could have it on my conscience leaving her on her own. They don’t have any girls but have quite a few boys (one is neutered) and peach is spayed so strongly thinking about it. Bit nervous about male Guinean pigs as I haven’t had one before. Hopefully I can still travel to them in tier 4 restrictions.

thats good news.
What worries you about having a boar? A boar/sow pairing tend to be more stable.
I have two boars, they are just so lovely, such funny characters!

I have a boar pair and sow pair. Absolutely love them all deeply. I did get boars first, though a family member tried to sway me towards sows. But I chose them because I loved them. Same for my girls. They’re lovely so don’t worry about anything. Good luck with the dating.

Don't be afraid of boars! I have 2 daft ones. If your girl falls for one then that could be a match made in heaven- well whoever she chooses in the end means happiness all round. Good luck

Boars are great! I had two for nearly 5 years. I really miss them. They toddled off to the Rainbow Bridge a few weeks ago within four days of each other. Don't be put off by the fact that Lesley has a boar. Boars are such characters! Dennis was a gentle soul and was paired with The Ever Beautiful Betsy and Chrisitian was a cheeky chappy who's wifelets were Meg and Pretty Patsy (I adopted Patsy from Little Wheekers) and previously Christian was with Meg and Velvet (RIP).

My Bill and Ted were absolutely lovely. They were so daft, funny, loveable and had a real zest for life!
Miss them both so much

My boar is a big, nervous boy but I wouldn't be without him. Spayed sows are like gold-dust... and rescues are always full of boars just waiting to be loved 💕

Back