• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Best cage design options for 4 sows and one neutered boar

A 6x6(210x210) ground square or a 3/4x9(105/140x315) with a stand?

• 6x6 (210x210) on the floor)

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • or a 3/4(105/140) x 9(315cm) with a stand

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Tara95

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, I am stuck on how to re-design my cage as I know it can't be so easily changed once you've cut the correx etc. I have a C & C which I was originally planning on being 6 x 6 (210x210) on the floor. But then I've realised it is possible to make a stand with extra grids which possibly will be better for storage and viewing of the guinea pigs/may make them slightly tamer if I'm at their level rather than looming over the top of them. I am not sure how sturdy this will be as I was planning on making a fairly large wooden guinea pig castle with multiple bridges like little adventures over christmas and I'm not sure if the C&C stand would be able to support this. Also I don't know how difficult cleaning would be if it's on a stand as at the moment I physically climb inside the cage when I'm cleaning and I probably won't be able to do this with a stand. I realise a 6x6 would be hard to clean with a stand as well due to the width and having to reach into the corners on the opposite side in order to clean. I have seem some narrower ones I let the look of which I think would be easier to clean. I was thinking the max I could have would be a 3 x 9 on a stand would this be more appropriate for 5 guinea pigs or not? As although I think it is less square feet it does give them more room to roam especially with a boar. I could attempt a 4 x 9 but I don't know how easy this would be to clean as it would be 140 wide so I'm thinking max 105 width with a stand and a longer design. What do you guys think? Any advice/opinions would be appreciated :)
Many thanks all :)

I voted for the longer cage off the floor option!

I like the idea of a stand as in my opinion its so much better to have storage underneath! It hurts my back to clean when they are on the floor too. I use a footstool to stand on to reach at the back of the cage when cleaning. I would consider a more sturdy stand, I use ikea tables but I’ve seen people make their own with ikea table legs and MDF board which may be cheaper? I think personally I would stick to 3 wide, anymore might be difficult to reach across? Oh its going to be an epic cage!

Oh I love Little Adventures castle! That would be amazing!

Youre offering them a great amount of space over and above requirements so that is really great.
If it was me, I’d go with the 6x6 on the floor if you’ve got space for that and still have some storage space nearby. I sit in the shed with my boys all the time and they climb on my legs etc. It’s nice to be in with them, and they are able to stay in the environment they are comfortable with rather than having to pick them up all the time (which they hate). I just get a broom and sweep the floor so cleaning isn’t hard and I just then get on my knees to use the dustpan

Youre offering them a great amount of space over and above requirements so that is really great.
If it was me, I’d go with the 6x6 on the floor if you’ve got space for that and still have some storage space nearby. I sit in the shed with my boys all the time and they climb on my legs etc. It’s nice to be in with them, and they are able to stay in the environment they are comfortable with rather than having to pick them up all the time (which they hate). I just get a broom and sweep the floor so cleaning isn’t hard and I just then get on my knees to use the dustpan
I love the idea of sitting with them on the floor :wub: and probably if I had space and my back wasn’t so broken I would do that too!

I agree with this post! 6x6 is wow, my pigs are coming over!

Ahh good points, I didn't think of those! I've been taking sitting in their cage for granted especially when the divider comes down and Winston is introduced they'll be even more room for me to sit with them. I think the only reason for me it's been more challenging on the floor is because I don't have correx going over the edge to keep the hay out and they keep doing poos outside of the cage :mal:🐹 lol. The correx is on it's way! In some ways I do think they need the extra space to prevent any issues with 5 so they can easily get away if they need to without being cornered in a narrower part of the cage. Thank you for advice! How many cm long do you think I need the correx to go over the edges so it doesn't impact the viewing of them too much but keeps the poos out?
Many thanks :)

I voted for the longer cage off the floor option!

I like the idea of a stand as in my opinion its so much better to have storage underneath! It hurts my back to clean when they are on the floor too. I use a footstool to stand on to reach at the back of the cage when cleaning. I would consider a more sturdy stand, I use ikea tables but I’ve seen people make their own with ikea table legs and MDF board which may be cheaper? I think personally I would stick to 3 wide, anymore might be difficult to reach across? Oh its going to be an epic cage!

Oh I love Little Adventures castle! That would be amazing!
Storage is a good point and is very handy! and 3 wide would probably be the max I could do with cleaning without breaking the cage. Thank you for advice! Your cage does look so amazing! Did you make the long fleece forest by yourself? and hehe I love little adventures and all the others constantly watching guinea pig videos these days! I don't know how hard the castle will be to recreate, I've thought about painting parts of it with non toxic paint, but I don't know how achievable that will be/or safe.

Storage is a good point and is very handy! and 3 wide would probably be the max I could do with cleaning without breaking the cage. Thank you for advice! Your cage does look so amazing! Did you make the long fleece forest by yourself? and hehe I love little adventures and all the others constantly watching guinea pig videos these days! I don't know how hard the castle will be to recreate, I've thought about painting parts of it with non toxic paint, but I don't know how achievable that will be/or safe.
Thank you! Honestly both of your options are amazing. It’s just about whatever is going to work best for you!
Yup I made the forest bits myself. Not too hard really. I can’t wait to see how your cage comes along.

Ahh good points, I didn't think of those! I've been taking sitting in their cage for granted especially when the divider comes down and Winston is introduced they'll be even more room for me to sit with them. I think the only reason for me it's been more challenging on the floor is because I don't have correx going over the edge to keep the hay out and they keep doing poos outside of the cage :mal:🐹 lol. The correx is on it's way! In some ways I do think they need the extra space to prevent any issues with 5 so they can easily get away if they need to without being cornered in a narrower part of the cage. Thank you for advice! How many cm long do you think I need the correx to go over the edges so it doesn't impact the viewing of them too much but keeps the poos out?
Many thanks :)

On the premade correx liners (when bought as part of the complete cage kit) the side stands 15cm high

Thank you! Honestly both of your options are amazing. It’s just about whatever is going to work best for you!
Yup I made the forest bits myself. Not too hard really. I can’t wait to see how your cage comes along.
Aww thank you I'm going to try and recreate that fleece forest, there's no sewing involved is there?

Aww thank you I'm going to try and recreate that fleece forest, there's no sewing involved is there?
The one that hangs across the upper level was just a long piece of fleece that I cut to strips.
the other one does have sewing involved as I made it so it fits over the end of the cage.

Back