• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Best Hutch Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maisy and Poppy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi my scratch and newton hutch hugger is broken so I am looking for a new one. I have the pets@home bluebell 2 storey hutch. Pets@home sell them but are so expensive and my Dad says he will only spend £20 or slightly more. I was wondering if poundland tarpaulin would be okay? Does anyone recommend any hutch covers? :help::ple:

I might use poundland tarpaulin with a hutch cover, picnic blanket, duvet... as I heard lots of thin layers are the best!:)

Layers are good, but you need something wind proof and waterproof to provide the ultimate protection. Scratch and Newton covers are the best.

That sounds like a good plan, you are doing the best you can. Perhaps position the hutch so it has it's back to the wind to minimize drafts into the hutch :)

You won't get a good proper hutch cover for only £20, scratch and Newton are by far the best, pets at home...pfft!
You have to spend money to keep your animals safe from the cold, there is no point in buying them if you are unable to buy what they need. Sorry to sound harsh.

I completely agree with Rachel Above :) I do think though that Maisy and Poppy said she was going to get a scratch and newton one. I do agree they are the best. That cover, layers, plenty of hay - no straw! Get some snuggle safe heat pads too that you can swap continuously. Oh and a temperature probe. It may be that they will have to come inside anymore, or put into a boarding facility if it gets extremely cold.

Thanks, I have a snugglesafe heat pad, (hoping to get more for Christmas!), I have a scratch and newton cover, I have put bubble wrap over the doors, they have a blanket over the hutch too. The hutch is in a sheltered area with a greenhouse type roof with a metal gate to stop predators coming in! I have also got rice socks which I put in the microwave for 1 minute! My Dad has agreed to buy a temperature probe:) and @Polly and Rosie have let me bring the piggies to them if it gets too cold:) as they live on the same road as me! What temperature should I bring the guinea pigs inside? Really annoying because my parent's won't move the hutch to the garage, buy another heat pad, fish out the picnic blankets from a box in the shed or let me take some blankets from the house to insulate the cage:td:! Hopefully they will be okay!

Thanks, I have a snugglesafe heat pad, (hoping to get more for Christmas!), I have a scratch and newton cover, I have put bubble wrap over the doors, they have a blanket over the hutch too. The hutch is in a sheltered area with a greenhouse type roof with a metal gate to stop predators coming in! I have also got rice socks which I put in the microwave for 1 minute! My Dad has agreed to buy a temperature probe:) and @Polly and Rosie have let me bring the piggies to them if it gets too cold:) as they live on the same road as me! What temperature should I bring the guinea pigs inside? Really annoying because my parent's won't move the hutch to the garage, buy another heat pad, fish out the picnic blankets from a box in the shed or let me take some blankets from the house to insulate the cage:td:! Hopefully they will be okay!
I wouldn't recommend rice socks, they are a hazard incase they chew the sock and exposed to the rice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back