Best Living Solution For My 3 Boys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

span

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys think is the best long term option for my three boys...
Cap and Six were originally cage mates but had a nasty falling out and were separated, but live side by side.
A couple of weeks ago I took on another boar from a friend of a friend, Zach. He’s currently being quarantined as he’s poorly from a URI and isn’t recovering as well as we or the vet would want.
We have enough room for more guineas, so when Zach is 100%, what do you think is the best option for them? Should I try pairing Zach with one of my boys and then find another boar for the odd one out, or should I get the odd one out neutered and put him with a girl? What if Zach doesn't get on with either of them? Should I get them all neutered and find them each a girlfriend?

Just FYI, Cap is 8 months, Six is 4 years on 1st July and I am unsure how old Zach is – I would guess from his weight when we got him that he’s about 4 months.

Also thought I should add that both Cap and Six have been boar dating and failed to make friends!

Last edited:

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:DAt 4 years old, Six is well past the hormonal stage, but the other two boys have obviously hit theirs as they had to be separated. The hormonal stage, when boars start fighting for dominance, can last for over a year so Cap and Zach have a long way to go yet. I think the best thing to do is keep them all together, but separated. Don't put a female into the mix. Neutering does not alter guinea behaviour as it does with rabbits. Hope this helps. :tu:
I will tag @Wiebke as she can help you more.

Status
Not open for further replies.