• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Best veggies?

Josie_lg

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiya, I just wanted to pop on here. I’ve always thought I was pretty clued up and sensible with my guinea pigs diet. Please can people suggest the best veggies for piggies to have on a daily basis? I’ve been doing research and I just feel like most things have to be fed sparingly/ or my piggies get bored of the same old thing. Please let me know what your piggies faves are! X

Getting bored of having the same thing is sometimes going to be an issue!
Moderation and rotation are good though, keeps them interested and gives them a good variety and mix of nutrients.
On a daily basis mine have lettuce of one sort or another, cucumber, coriander and bell pepper.
Anything else is added in on rotation or just when I think to buy it
They get high calcium veg - kale, spinach, parsley - perhaps once or twice a month, although these things can be fed once a week but it’s because I often find myself not buying it often.

Some of their favourites are really any type of leafy veg - watercress and rocket salad, they like spring greens, any type of lettuce (not iceberg though).

Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

My piggies usually have cucumber, tomatoes, pepper, and lettuce on a daily basis! The tomato is sometimes swapped out for carrot, and the lettuce for kale or spinach, to stop them getting bored!

This is also either partly or wholely swapped out for any spare veg I have lying around the house that is piggy safe :D

My piggies have romaine/red leaf lettuce, coriander/cilantro, bell peppers, and cucumber on a daily basis. They also have a rotation of kale, parsley, carrot, spinach, fennel, and a few other veggies throughout the rest of the week. They have tomato very sparingly and rarely along with the occasional orange slice. :)

My piggies usually have cucumber, tomatoes, pepper, and lettuce on a daily basis! The tomato is sometimes swapped out for carrot, and the lettuce for kale or spinach, to stop them getting bored!

This is also either partly or wholely swapped out for any spare veg I have lying around the house that is piggy safe :D
Be careful with tomatoes. They are acidic and should be fed sparingly. I hope that this helps! :)

My piggies were fussy (particularly Melvin ... tho as soon as Bella started eating, he wanted it of course!). I tried them on a variety of veg (and some of the more occasional veg suggested on here) and they definitely had a sweet tooth! The day I gave them half a grape first they ate the grape so fast ...
Today I offered Bella a green bean once again, freshly picked ... but she sniffed it, walked over it and then sat on it!
She loves grass so presently eats mainly grass (plus hay of course) and I also offer cucumber daily as she doesn't drink much, a slice of green pepper, a leaf of Romaine lettuce and bit of coriander. Also a rotation of basil/dill/celery/spring greens/cauliflower leaf/chunk of broccoli stalk/chunk of carrot and then a small cherry tomato/slice of apple/orange segment/half a grape as an occasional treat. I am wary of giving too much kale/spinach, so have this about once a month.
Can I check whether guinea pigs can eat rose petals? Bella started to eat one today and I got worried so she only had one bite ... but then she sniffed around for the rest of the rose petal and I felt mean!

Back