• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Best Way To Handle A New Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightieselle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Thanks for such a warm welcome to the forum!

Anyhoo, I have two gorgeous boars, Walt & Jessie (we're big breaking bad fans ) they have been with us a week today, I've been spot cleaning them daily, and have done a proper clean out today. Easy as pie, altho I make a mess in the process...

Basically, I haven't picked either of them up yet other than when we first put them in their cage. They are obviously very nervous and only young (10 weeks) I've been talking to them lots, sitting with them with the cage open. Giving them treats, stroking them. I've made progress already with both piggies staying still for a stroke, instead of running for the nearest hidey hole! They have eaten food out of my hand and aren't (too) scared of running near to my hand when its in the cage. I put them both into their run in the evenings, but I've been herding them one by one into a tube and covering the ends to transport them there and back.

Have I done the right thing leaving it a week before picking them up? I don't want to undo all the trust we have built up so far but I'd love some cuddles. Also, how is best to do it? I don't want to chase them around the cage as I know they'd run and get stressed. Any ideas? TIA x

My girls were really timid and skittish (still are sometimes). I picked them up in a snuggle hidey and placed it on my lap with some food. A few time of doing this they realised I wasn't a danger. Then started to stroke them until they built up confidence to come out on your lap :) it's all a time a patience game earning their trust. But very worth it. Sounds like you've been doing a great job so far.

Piggies will take time to get settled and aware of their surroundings. Trusting people is a long process, sometimes more depending on the piggy.

Keep hand feeding, that is always the right way to go.

Piggies will take time to get settled and aware of their surroundings. Trusting people is a long process, sometimes more depending on the piggy.

Keep hand feeding, that is always the right way to go.
Thanks. Do you think I would be a good idea to sit with them in the run so they could have a sniff of me? Or do you that would scare them too much? X

Best get them comfortable and confident with the regular surroundings first before exposing them to even more new territory! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back