Best Way To Spot Clean Guinea Pig Cage\hutch With Shaving\loose Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Codfather

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have searched the net and most video's are all done using fleece and not loose material

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
With loose bedding I find the best way is by hand with some gloves (or without if you aren't bothered :P :P).

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I think hands would be best for that too as you can pick out directly what you need and not waste bedding.

Sara412

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I shake the hay so poop drops through, chuck any wet hay and then I have a mini dustpan and brush and sweep up wet sawdust , lay new sawdust add old hay and top up with fresh hay - almost like when we were kids and our mums topped to bottom the sheets :nod:

Hannah Boyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi, my piggies are on Aubiose hemp and hay. They tend to sit on the hay so i lift it out and shake droppings/pick out wet bits into a bucket. then i pick through the hemp with a spade/my hand to pick out wet/dirty bits - you get to know where they will be! the hay can then be topped up and returned (they have eating hay in their racks). I do this once or twice every day.

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
hi, my piggies are on Aubiose hemp and hay. They tend to sit on the hay so i lift it out and shake droppings/pick out wet bits into a bucket. then i pick through the hemp with a spade/my hand to pick out wet/dirty bits - you get to know where they will be! the hay can then be topped up and returned (they have eating hay in their racks). I do this once or twice every day.

I use fitch but follow the same principle. I've got all sorts of scooping tools but have found it is much easier to pick the wet patches up by hand . I stopped using newspaper ages ago - I just put the fitch straight down on the cage base.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ohh I must waste so much hay, if it's the slightest bit wet or pooped in I throw the lot.. I have wondered what the best way to spot clean a cage is but with fleece, I felt stupid to ask though

Status
Not open for further replies.