• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bette, perhaps needs some vibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flintstones

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I always say, I donn't need vibes. I need a vet, I think I now need both now.

Were do I start, last weekend Bette became very bloated and began having gut spasms. She was also lethargic and drinking excessively (Bottle of water a day).

Bette spasming (She makes no noise during but you can see the discomfort).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l30NZ4-5f4c[/ame]

We went to the vet on Tuesday (9th November) who said it was due to gas possibly caused by a hairball(Guinea pigs don't get hairballs). She was Xrayed and nothing showed. In this time since the 9 Nov Bette has went from 1181g - 1030g her latest reading. She is lethargic, previously she drank alot of water within the last 2 days she has drank very little.

Lastnight she was spasming again her stomach bloated and not eating we were at the vet only saw her yesterday (I told him of how I dealt with the bloat first time round, he said if it happens again to use infacol, I made him aware some people use Busopan but he told me not to use that), lastnight very unexpected (I was coping so well up to then) and since the first occasion she has been on a hay only diet substituted with probiotics and vitamin C, so nothing to trigger such a reaction.

This is Bette last night. Just before the spasms.

001-13.jpg

Strangely enough when Bette started to Spasm, Milo began chirping (very sadly)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wML9NA6g5II[/ame]

Although I have plenty of advice, and lots of threads numerous places I just have to vent how difficult this is, not only emotionally but fiancially aswell but this is what we sign up for when we get a pet and it truly is heart breaking.

After giving her some gripe water numerous massages. I decided it would be best to leave her be as she could still move and walk around. She was also eating very little.

I woke at 5am to find Bette hiding, I immediately started massaging her gut again, and checked guinea lynx someone suggested Extra Virgin Olive Oil as I hadn't bought anything infacol at this point. As I thought it wouldn't happen again with no triggers. I gave 0.2mls and massaged her frantically. I then checked underneath were I found a mass of poop which I was able to dislodge they has some mucas attached followed by 2 ill formed poo's. I then returned her to her cage and she began drinking followed by eating a bit of hay.

I returned to bed, to wake to find her still sleeping. I have phoned the vet, who suggested I immediately start giving Critical Care, 0.1 of infacol and some pineapple juice which I have done. She is currently still sleeping although I have been rewarded with some poo's and wee. Her weight is still declining and she seems to now have a problem with her front left foot. She is sleeping continously now.

This is Bette after her feed (watch the front left leg, do you think shes avoiding putting weight on it?).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAGZy6KpM6A[/ame]

The Vet thinks it maybe her kidneys but too check she will have to go under GA and have blood drawn from her neck. If it is Kidneys then we can do nothing, kidney and heart have very similiar symptons so I am also going to ask about possible heart medicine if it will help.

I have a feeling we will be back at the vet tomorrow, and I do hope theres something we can do. That we haven't already tried.

If anything this thread has helped by just helping me vent my frustration and sadness, well all this has been going on Bette looks perfectly healthy. I guess guinea pigs really do hide illnesses. Too look at her now you wouldn't think anything was going on. I'm finding it all very tough to deal with.

If you managed to read this thread, well done.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me so far, if only too listen too me panic or too offer some advice. You truly are stars, thank you being there for me xx

I'm sorry that your having so many problems with Bette. One of my guinea pigs bloated slightly yesterday from a big impaction but *touch wood* he seems fine now. I do hope your darling little pig feels better soon

( ( ( HUG ) ) ) x

I am so sorry to hear that Bette is not any better at all! :(

Sending big vibes!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

(PS: Milo is chirping wonderfully!)

Aw sweetheart, I understand how difficult it is to watch a pet suffer but you have done everything that you can and you have a good vet offering help and advice. If I can be of any support just let me know xx

I have just come home and turned on the comp, saw your thread. I am so so sorry Joanne to hear about Bette, she is such a gorgeous girl as I saw yesterday. I was actually going to text you later on to find out how she was. I hope something can be done to make her better. If there is anything we can do to help please just ask and if it as at all possible consider it done. Thinking of you xx

I have just come home and turned on the comp, saw your thread. I am so so sorry Joanne to hear about Bette, she is such a gorgeous girl as I saw yesterday. I was actually going to text you later on to find out how she was. I hope something can be done to make her better. If there is anything we can do to help please just ask and if it as at all possible consider it done. Thinking of you xx

keeping everything crossed for Bette, and sending massive vibes.

Hope you are ok, its so sad to watch your baby suffer especially when you arent sure exactly what is wrong.

it seems to me that you are doing all you possibly can and being a good mummy to your babe.

Take lots of care xxxxx

So sorry to hear that Bette is unwell, i do hope that you and the vet can sort her problems out soon.

It sounds like your are doing all you can for her to make her comfortable.

Sending lots of healing vibes your way x x x

We're sending lots of healing vibes to Bette and strength to you. I really hope something can be done to help her. I wonder if an ultrasound would show anything up? I don't really know what they'd be looking for but I know our vet did one when an x-ray didn't show anything up when we thought Spike had a bladder stone.
Have you asked Vedra for advice?

We're sending lots of healing vibes to Bette and strength to you. I really hope something can be done to help her. I wonder if an ultrasound would show anything up? I don't really know what they'd be looking for but I know our vet did one when an x-ray didn't show anything up when we thought Spike had a bladder stone.
Have you asked Vedra for advice?

I might discuss this options, with the vet. I recently moved vets as my previous one didn't seem concerned she was losing weight very quickly. I think they thought I was making it all up in my head and the pig is perfectly healthy I wish she was.

At the rate everything is going we are going to have to act quickly I imagine. The new vet I have found is very Guinea Pig Savy, he isn't close to home but if theres an emergency hes more than willing to tell me what to do to help her over the phone.

Shes comfortable again and producing pellets although they are a bit soft, shes sleeping just now. Poor love it's horrible for me can't imagine it's very nice for her.

I have been seeking the advice of rodentologists and guinea pig Savy people who can give me idea's on whats going on. I have discussed all this with my vet.

I don't know if a probiotic would help? Might firm up the soft poos, on the other hand might block her up. Sounds like your new vet is a good one. Fingers crossed. x
She's getting the best possible care she can.

I don't know if a probiotic would help? Might firm up the soft poos, on the other hand might block her up. Sounds like your new vet is a good one. Fingers crossed. x
She's getting the best possible care she can.

We had her on probiotics yesterday but then she started not eating, it's so hard deciding whats best to do! Why don't guinea pigs talk? rolleyes

Amazingly enough, my vet seen her yesterday and by last night it all went downhill very quickly.

I guarantee if I took her to someone and just asked there opinion on her they would say shes a healthy pig. I don't see why she can't bloat when we have a vet appointment rolleyes.

The vet thinks the bloating is secondary to the actual problem. I have noticed she is bunny hopping much more and her back muscles are wasting away. Then we have the issue of her front leg now! :x

Poor Bette. I really hope she's ok and they can sort her out. It can't be nice for her :( Sounds like you're getting good advise now, lets hope she perks up a bit.
Good luck :) Get well soon Bette.

Bette is an older pig could this be to do with her age or has it all come on really suddenly?

Bette is an older pig could this be to do with her age or has it all come on really suddenly?

It's all happened since the 9th of november. I know older pigs do start to dimish but I think 151 grams in less than a fortnight is too much for old age.

Not too mention, the bloating.

I understand with old age things happen but I don't think this is purely old age, the vet thinks it's kidney related. Although we can't be sure, if I can help by getting her the correct treatment too help her live life pain free then I want too.

So sorry to hear about Bette - just saw this thread - what a horrible time for you and her. The main thing is you are doing everything and more to help her. Hope she improves soon - keep us posted,
Big healing vibes from me and my gang,
xx

Am so sorry, I hope Bette is feeling much better soon.

Joanne, I have confidence in your strength to get thru this with Bette. I've allways thought of Bette as a fiesty Piggy and I pray that she pulls thru this with you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back