• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Big Behaviour Change!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kim3

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have had my girls nearly 4 weeks and this week they really don't want to be picked up or even stroked and really try anything yo get away from me. I know they do this but they've definitely got worse. Also they r chewing toys ramp cage, everything!
Is this because i am having to treat them for mites and separate them every 2 weeks? I did manage to hand feed them yesterday whilst they were in hutch after much perseverance!
Whats best course of action for me to take to gain their trust?

Sounds about normal to be honest, it can take a while to get their trust and it is early days yet. Lots of tempting them them to take food off you is a perfect way to gain a bond and start to associate you with nice things. To begin with you can offer them food just so the have to stretch to take it from you, let them take it back then to where they feel safe to eat, then next time round try to tempt them a little further to reach it and slowly build it up, over a month you'll find they will be at the bars taking food off you..

Here is a stress free way of picking up your piggies also

How are they getting on with their mite treatment?

As for the chewing piggies do chew, do they have plenty of hay? Maybe something like a hay chube will help keep them occupied also, our girls love them http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-treat...breaker-naturals-hay-n-hide-gnaw-tube-p-10788 Large Size for piggies.

Thanks i thought chewing was normal just never seen them do it this much!
They hate being separated after treatment and squeek their heads off but smudges fur is starting to grow back so I'm assuming its working. And yes they have hay. Think i wss giving them too much as it was everywhere so yesterday i made a cardboard hay box and they love it, seems to be keeping the hutch tidier too!

You don't have to separate your girls as long as you treat both of them.

The vet said to separate them for 6 hours after applying the xeno 50 so they cant lick it off each other's backs?

The vet said to separate them for 6 hours after applying the xeno 50 so they cant lick it off each other's backs?

OK, so it is just a short separation. It was not clear from your remark. They won't be happy about it, though!

Youngsters really hate being separated and can be very vocal about. But as long as they can see each other, it is not quite as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back