Bird in Meadow Hay

ZiloStar

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Our guinea pigs dragged out a corpse of a dead bird from where we put their hay. Since we were using two different hays we had to look through the hay bags and look online to see if other people got dead things in one of the brands.
So after looking around we know it was from the Meadow Hay. We also learned about the horrors you can find in some hay..

Winniepeg

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh my goodness how sad and upsetting for you. I’ve found bits of plastic in hay and thrown loads out due to its sharp contents but no wildlife so far thankfully 😅

horsefeather

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ive found dead birds, rodents, snakes even a dead kitten in haybales. course those were large square bales for the horses. a friend who feeds livestock roundbales once found a dead fawn. if they dont get out of the hay when its being baled...

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh no a kitten?! These poor animals and poor people finding them! The worst I've found yet is a tiny bit of plastic and a thorn luckily both of which I found as I was getting the hay out

horsefeather

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh no a kitten?! These poor animals and poor people finding them! The worst I've found yet is a tiny bit of plastic and a thorn luckily both of which I found as I was getting the hay out
yes. course those were few and far between. in 25 years of horsekeeping its probably like 10 bales out of 345,664,324,578. but it does happen. hay is grass. it grows, gets cut, let to dry in fluffy rows. turned so its completly dry (hay self combusts if its baled even slightly wet. #1 cause for barn fires). after a few days the baler comes through and rakes it up and bales it. the hay piles are the only shelter in a now wide open field so some animals dont always get away.

horsefeather

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hay self combusts if baled wet? :yikes: Well I've learnt something today!
yes. it gets compressed into a solid block and 10 or 12 of those blocks are stung together for a solid bale. the wet hay starts to heat up as it now decomposes over the pressure (completely dry hay can last forever)bc its so tightly compressed it can get very hot and when you have a bunch of damp hay packed in an enclosed area. the heat can cause it to ignite.

we once got about 50 bales in and had them stacked in the hay trailer when we opened one to feed and realized it was damp. had to open and shake out /fluff all 50 bales so that the heat had a chance to escape.