• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Biscuit's pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

Just to let you all know that we're off to the vet's this afternoon to see how Biscuit is responding to the co-trimoxazole to tackle his pneumonia.

He seems to be doing pretty well so I'm fairly hopeful of a recovery. We will also get the results of his culture tests and we should be able to isolate the bacterium causing all his URIs and pneumonia issues.

I will let you all know what the results are later today :)

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Just got back from the vet's. Biscuit chest sounds are much better and he is responding well to treatment. He will start a new 10-day course of Marbocyl and Co-trimoxazole tomorrow and hopefully we will have this one beaten.

We have one set of culture results which show that Biscuit has strep intermedius and, thankfully, the combination of anti-biotics he's been on are indicated for this bacterium! :)

We are still waiting for another set of results from his nasal tissue to arrive from the States but hope to have them by the end of the week.

Sarah (our terrific vet) says that he will, however, be susceptible to URIs in the future as his lungs have suffered quite a lot of damage from the pneumonia and his lung capacity is reduced. In particular, his ability to expell air and bacteria is reduced :(

The little guy is a real fighter and I'm sure, even if he continues to get infections, he can beat this!

Thanks for your wishes and vibes x>>

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aww poor little man. At least he's strong enough to get through all this. Good luck for the future. Let's hope they can isolate these nasty bugs and get rid of them :).

Status
Not open for further replies.