• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Biscuits' Uri

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyexXx

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Biscuit is 4years old in April. She has had this URI on/off sice christmas. Each time i have gone back to the vets they have tried baytril injection with an oral medicince for at home. Each time she was given a weeks worth and would either show no change or appear better for a short while before symptoms re-appeared. The vet then started a longer course with metacam but it has been no better. It is still baytril, metacam and probiotic vitamin c that she is taking and although she has managed to gain some weight back she is still got the runny nose/crusty eyes.

Hi! Is this the same piggy as in the previous thread?

Yupp! :) Pebble asked me to start another thread so it wouldn't get confusing!

OK, if that is by Pebble's request.

Thanks for starting a new thread about Biscuit.

This little lady was a healthy 4 years old...yet appeasr to have had a grunbling URI that multitple doses of baytril has not healed. Sounds like you have an antibioitic=resistant bug.

I will re-iterate my previious post for the other case. As a first step - you need a swab/culture from nose/throat to check for bugs and abx sensitivity You said you will print out what I wrote and take it to your vet.... so I suggest that this is your first port of call.

I mentioned other abx but without the culture senstivity tests, trying other ones are (excuse my french) "pissing in the wind"

Given her age- if other abx don;t work - then I think you also need to check her for heart problems. At the very least this weil need an Xray (with I suspect GA from your vets) - so rule out the bugs firsti-

HTH - keep this thread updated.
x

Please weigh her daily and monitor food intake and record your observaions on this thread.

Is she is a relatively "white-haired and pink-skinned" piggy - Are you able to determine if she has black/grey edges to her otherwise normally pink ears or dark colouring to her normallyl pink lips/feet...photos will help?

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back