• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bit Fed Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmitten

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is mainly about ringworm but haven't posted in health and illness thread because I'm looking only for sympathy so didn't want to get in the way of a thread that needs advice.

Mid February one of our group of 4 had scratched her eyeball. I asked the vet whether he thought there was also a fungal infection starting round it (I did and so did people on here) but he said no. When we went back a few days later, I convinced him and we got itrafungol for her.

A few days later I had to go back with another one of the 4 - nasty patch of fungal on her back.

I'd separated these two from the other two by that time. Been cleaning with F10 and dipping with imaverol but yesterday brought another vet trip with another one of the 4 - fungal around her eye just like the first. So now I'm dipping different piggies and cleaning out cages virtually every day :(

Then to top off my woes today, I was due to pick up some Aubiose for our other 2 pairs of piggies who are not affected (yet) and although I'd ordered it two weeks ago and agreed with them I would pick it up today, they've sold it to someone else because they forgot to label it for me. So I've had to buy emergency care fresh at twice the price :(

Oh what bad luck. Your poor piggies having to go through all that and poor you too. How annoying the aubiose was not kept for you too. You need a long hot bath and some chocolate.

Oh what bad luck. Your poor piggies having to go through all that and poor you too. How annoying the aubiose was not kept for you too. You need a long hot bath and some chocolate.
Now there's a nice idea - just got the two tier hutch and the 5x2 c and c left to clean out first tonight .....

Ohhh ringworm is soul-destroying :( At the worst point of my surprise baby explosion - 10 piggies across 3 cages in my lounge - ringworm was the absolute last thing I needed to be dealing with. You have my sympathy! I hope it all clears up soon x

I am really sorry, absolute rotten time you are having. Fungal is a nightmare, it is so frustrating and time consuming :(

Sometimes it feels like everythign is going against you, it will turn at some point. Have a hug and keep your chin up x x

Heres a Treacle bottom and chooken leg to help out x

P1000455.jpg

I am really sorry, absolute rotten time you are having. Fungal is a nightmare, it is so frustrating and time consuming :(

Sometimes it feels like everythign is going against you, it will turn at some point. Have a hug and keep your chin up x x

Heres a Treacle bottom and chooken leg to help out x

P1000455.jpg
What a lovely pic :drool: and Treacle looks very like our Nibbles :love:. It has cheered me up :hug:.

The vet can't understand it - he keeps asking me if we've had any new piggies recently, changed bedding type or food but the only thing I've done is use auboise for the last month or so instead of Fitch or Carefresh in their corner litter trays (because they wee most in the corners not because I think they will ever stand a chance of being trained to wee in just the litter trays).

He's been giving them full once overs in case it's a sign of something else but no signs thankfully.

Massive sympathies. I feel your pain, as you know from the other thread I may (probably looking at Telford this morning) am about to start the cycle too.

I'm beginning to wonder if some pigs are just more susceptible to picking up fungal than others? This is my fourth pair of boars. They've been kept in the same way as my previous three pairs. Have hay and fresh grass picked/sourced from the same location as my previous pairs... and yet poor Telford is probably on his second fungal episode in 7 months. :no:

Massive sympathies. I feel your pain, as you know from the other thread I may (probably looking at Telford this morning) am about to start the cycle too.

I'm beginning to wonder if some pigs are just more susceptible to picking up fungal than others? This is my fourth pair of boars. They've been kept in the same way as my previous three pairs. Have hay and fresh grass picked/sourced from the same location as my previous pairs... and yet poor Telford is probably on his second fungal episode in 7 months. :no:
I've wondered that too. This group of 4 live right next to another pair of sows that we took on from an unofficial rescue lady. They came to us having just recovered from a fungal infection last May but they didn't succumb in August and don't seem to have this time either. Our boars live completely apart from the girls and they've never had a fungal infection.

All 8 are fed the same hay, the same (grain free) nuggets, the same veggies.

Poor you! I have been there with 16 piggies and two rounds of ringworm, so I know what a nightmare it can be. :mal:

Hopefully, you will get there this time around. Just make sure that you dip all piggies again at the end of it and also thoroughly deep clean with F10. Dunk any wooden furnishing into the diluted F10 and let it dry or throw them away. Wash any fabrics in contact at a high temperature or again, throw them away. I still have a bin bag of (washed and disinfected) ringworm fleeces and cosies in the attic in case of another outbreak.

Poor you! I have been there with 16 piggies and two rounds of ringworm, so I know what a nightmare it can be. :mal:

Hopefully, you will get there this time around. Just make sure that you dip all piggies again at the end of it and also thoroughly deep clean with F10. Dunk any wooden furnishing into the diluted F10 and let it dry or throw them away. Wash any fabrics in contact at a high temperature or again, throw them away. I still have a bin bag of (washed and disinfected) ringworm fleeces and cosies in the attic in case of another outbreak.
Well i can't keep anything chewable in our loft - just spent the afternoon going through all my childhood teddies that I saved but which the mice (I think it's mice anyway judging by the droppings) have chewed up and weed on, saying a final goodbye to them :(.

Have set humane traps in the loft now and am hoping to get rid of these pests soon. At least they haven't come into the house proper.

Can I use F10 in the washing machine does anybody know? If so, what amount should I put in?

Well i can't keep anything chewable in our loft - just spent the afternoon going through all my childhood teddies that I saved but which the mice (I think it's mice anyway judging by the droppings) have chewed up and weed on, saying a final goodbye to them :(.

Have set humane traps in the loft now and am hoping to get rid of these pests soon. At least they haven't come into the house proper.

Can I use F10 in the washing machine does anybody know? If so, what amount should I put in?

Temperatures of 60-90 C (140-200 F) will kill any fungal. It is not advised to add F10 to a wash (see label on the bottle). If you want to use F10 on any fabric, you will have to soak and rinse the fabric manually before the wash. Any wooden houses should be OK if you can dunk them in F10 solution, so the disinfectant gets into all nooks and crannies.

If you have got mice or rats in or near the house, there is always a certain risk that ringworm spores could get carried in by them.

You really do have my sympathies. I have had to deal with ringworm in horses and its incredibly difficult to shift and all the disinfecting drove me insane. big hugs to you (((hugs))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back