• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bit of a grudge match or signs of ovarian cysts?

PigglePuggle

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just wondered what anyone else thinks... so this past week, big calm kind Jezzy floof has really had it in for naughty mean girl Piggle! She's snapped at her, chased her, humped her... so much that actually little submissive boar Theo stepped in today and defended Piggle, he snapped back at Jezzy and chased her off!
I wonder if Jezzy might be getting ovarian cysts, she's about 4 and a half now so well in to late middle age hormonal lady bits issue territory... but she's only doing this to Piggle, who is notoriously mean, sneaky and a bit of a bully, her and Jezzy have never really been pals, since they first met 2 years ago...
Last time Jezzy had a routine vet check late last year I asked about cysts just as an age-appropriate health check, but the vet said she had too much tummy fat to feel anything and she would need a scan...
Does this behaviour sound enough like cysts to warrant a scan, without any other symptoms except Jezzy turning her the tables on the herd's sneaky bully girl for a change?

I should add that I love Piggle very much... but she's a bit like @Swissgreys Ruby sounds, why sniff when you can bite, either thebhoomas or the other pigs, why share when you can steal, why not sneak up and nip when the other piggy is sleeping, why not spray wee in somepig's eyes when they are trying to be your friend, why not severely barber your pal rather than grooming them nicely... Piggle is just that personality type, the reason we have a herd of 6 in a 28sqft cage is primarily to dilute the Piggle effect! So I'm not surprised Jezzy is fed up with her... but Jezzy is usually so nice!

I should add that I love Piggle very much... but she's a bit like @Swissgreys Ruby sounds, why sniff when you can bite, either thebhoomas or the other pigs, why share when you can steal, why not sneak up and nip when the other piggy is sleeping, why not spray wee in somepig's eyes when they are trying to be your friend, why not severely barber your pal rather than grooming them nicely... Piggle is just that personality type, the reason we have a herd of 6 in a 28sqft cage is primarily to dilute the Piggle effect! So I'm not surprised Jezzy is fed up with her... but Jezzy is usually so nice!

I would strongly recommend to have her checked. You can't change the personality/outlook but you can take the grudge factor out of the equation if it hormonally triggered.

I would of course rule out medical causes for the behavior change first, but in my limited expereince, 'big personality' sows can become less tolerant with age.

Ruby successfully lived with several guinea pigs when she was younger, both as a pair and also as part of a group of 4.
However she definitely became grumpier and less tolerant with age, and has had multiple health checks and tests and is clearly in robust health - just not a huge fan of other piggies in general. Or people. Or anything really, except food and her one devoted slave.

Its just so unlike Jezzy to get involved in lady herd politics... but Piggle really has needed humping/chasing/biting/sitting on for a while, she's been quite mean to Blodwen while Blod's been poorly... and Jezzy is just her usual gentle big kind floofy sheep pig self with Blodwen, its only mean girl Piggle she's gunning for! If Piggle just looks at Jezzy or Blod the wrong way then Jezzy is chasing Piggle down and humping her into submission... and they are both rather large ladies, there's quite a lot of upturned furniture and bangs and crashes!

Back