• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicola_

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been covered - I did try to search before posting.

Tonight whilst feeding carrot during cuddle time Frodo bit me! Probably because I had just reassured my friend I was not scared I would get bitten as it has never happened before and I'm very careful! Of course any time I make these kinds of comments to my friends the boys have to prove me wrong.

Anyway, my point is I'm not too concerned but of course I naturally sooked the blood from the wound before putting the plaster on and my mum got very concerned that I haven't cleaned it properly and that I've put myself in serious danger by doing this...should I have treated it more specially than a usual cut?

Slightly concerned now, especially as I can't turn back time!

Well, I would watch for signs of infection. I got an infected hand when Jack bit me last year!

Tetanus definitely is out of date! Should I definitely try get this seen to or only if there are signs on infection? Incidently, what are signs of infection and when would they appear?

If your jaw starts locking get to the hospital ASAP as that's tetanus!
Signs of infection around the cut wound would be swelling, area hot to touch, puffy skin, yellow discharge, signs of yellow discharge under the skin. It could get infected at any time after the initial injury if the cut is exposed.
I'd ring your doctors and see what they advise re. Getting a tetanus shot and cleaning the wound.

Wyatt got me last week and I rinsed it in super hot water before flushing with anti bacterial soap. Then kept it covered until it started to heal.

Ok - well I have had it covered since it happened but I haven't really cleaned it properly. Haven't looked at it yet today but it does hurt quite a bit! Kinda dreading looking at it now!

I really hate needles so hope it doesn't come to anything :/

Honestly I would get your tetanus updated. Ring your GP surgery, probably a nurse will be able to do it. Tetanus is rare these days, but still fatal.
My hand was hot, swollen and went kind of gunky when Jack bit it.

I'm sure you'll be fine, it's quite natural that it should hurt! Give it a good rinse today and plaster it back up again.

I just wanted to say that I have a needle phobia but got a tetanus jab a few months back as I applied to volunteer for a cat rescue. Anyway, I was so scared but the needle was hardly felt. Please do not worry about having it done.

So far it's looking ok, no swelling or discolouration at all - just a teeny tiny puncture wound. I rinsed it well under hot water and washed it with soap before covering it with a new plaster. Will keep an eye on it though just in case things change. It's still pretty sore but I guess that's probably normal!

As for tetanus I'll see about getting that sorted as soon as I can - as long as it's not as bad as the hep C or BCG I should be able to cope ok :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back