• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Biting Baby...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you have come across this before?

One of my 9week old girls seems to be a 'biter' which isn't really something I've come across before. I've come across plenty of guinea pigs that have 'explored with their mouths' and nibbled their way through life, but this little lady quite happily just clamps onto the end of your finger - she hasn't yet broken the skin. She does it to both mum and I, so it doesn't appear to be a particular dislike / response to either one of us. When she does it, neither of us react, we just continue until she breaks contact and carry on as before (I don't want it to become a taught negative behaviour due to our reaction.) She's a healthy piggy, bright eyes, good teeth, eating and drinking well, we've checked her over for lumps and bumps and their don't appear to be any areas of tenderness causing her discomfort - which could in turn 'explain' a reaction. So it seems to be a 'behavioural issue' / her way of expressing herself!

I'm not overly concerned about it at the moment as she's only a baby and there is so much to learn at this age! I was just curious to see if any of you had come across the 'issue' before with such a young pig? I've only really come across it in adults where they've either been handled incorrectly previously or there has been an underlying health issue they were trying to tell their human about.

Any thoughts?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
It can be a behavioural issue. I would recommend to establish a sound of displeasure (as well as an expression of praise), so she can learn what is accepted and what not as she grows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.