Biting cage bars

Bourbon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 2 piggies are free in the house for 12-14 hours a day but when we go to bed i put them back in their 1mX1m cage ,one of them starts biting the cage bars and its not that she is making loud noises or ruining her cage but I'm affaid that she will break her teeth (she is not biting very hard though) I'm considering stop locking them back in their cage and leave them free in the house cause they dont pee or poo and they dont really bite cables (cables are the only reason i dont let them be free 24/7)
Any idea on how to make her stop biting the bars? I checked the guides but i didnt find anything, please link if i missed something.Thanks

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Is this the companion to mum? She may be wanting to get in with them. You could put cardboard on the grid or just ignore her. Sometimes they do it for attention - is she used to being fed at that time?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Or is it mum and baby and mum is biting the bars?

Piggies bar bite for many reasons so we can only guess as to why she is doing it.
What enrichment do they have in the cage?
It could be that she likes having the freedom and is simply displaying her displeasure at being confined - this isn’t something you can avoid though as it’s not safe for them to be free ranging when you aren’t there to supervise.

as @Siikibam has said, you could cover the bars so she can’t get access to them

Bourbon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is this the companion to mum? She may be wanting to get in with them. You could put cardboard on the grid or just ignore her. Sometimes they do it for attention - is she used to being fed at that time?
Mum is doing the biting, they are in the same cage and its not her feeding time. It seems that she just dont want to be locked, sometimes she stays in her cage for hours but when i lock it she starts biting the bars (The cage is like a park with no bars on top and it has a door)
The bars she bites are not even in the same side with the door, if she was biting the door it would be obvious that she wouldnt like to be locked even if she mostly stays inside😜

Bourbon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Or is it mum and baby and mum is biting the bars?

Piggies bar bite for many reasons so we can only guess as to why she is doing it.
What enrichment do they have in the cage?
It could be that she likes having the freedom and is simply displaying her displeasure at being confined - this isn’t something you can avoid though as it’s not safe for them to be free ranging when you aren’t there to supervise.

as @Siikibam has said, you could cover the bars so she can’t get access to them
Yes its mum with baby and mum is biting, they dont have much in their cage ( 2 huts the litter box with feeding pots and 2 chewing toys) she never liked bridges and stuff so i took them out to make more free space especially with 2 babies pop corning like 30 times per minute

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I’d try giving more enrichment, it may help to keep her occupied - scattering food amongst piles of hay loose on the floor rather than using bowls etc

Bourbon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’d try giving more enrichment, it may help to keep her occupied - scattering food amongst piles of hay loose on the floor rather than using bowls etc
If i scatter hay around the cage they are going to poo/pee around the cage though🤔

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
They poo and pee everywhere anyway. By scattering food she meant pellets and veg.

Bourbon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They poo and pee everywhere anyway. By scattering food she meant pellets and veg.
No they dont, 90% of pee and 100% of poo are in the box they rarely pee outside even the babies, when they are outside the cage they never pee/poo unless something scares them, anyway she doesnt bite that hard so i think its unlikely to break a tooth, in that case i think ill just ignore her