Biting Guinea Pig Hates Being Handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeStas

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. I recently bought two new male guineas after two years not having any (I got too upset when they died and swore never to have them again). One of them developed a fungal infection which we've been treating since getting him and it seems to be cleared up now (we're still medicating though). He's very easy to deal with - seems to enjoy being cuddled and happily eats food from our laps.

The other one, however, is a bit of a nightmare and hates being handled. I'll put him on my lap and he'll panic and try to get away. Last night he drew blood from my finger for the first time. We've tried to handle him every day since they settled in but nothing has changed. Occasionally he'll take a singular bite of food but I'm pretty sure it's just because he wants to bite something rather than because it's food. When he's in the cage he'll happily take food from my hand and will sometimes even let me stroke him. We've tried making him comfortable, wrapping him in fleece etc but it makes no difference. I don't really know what to do with him as there has been absolutely no improvement when handling him. Do we just leave him alone of keep persevering? He's not the dominant guinea, which may make a difference.

Also, today we noticed that he has a dry nose so perhaps he's contracted the fungal infection. I'm going to get a vets appointment now but it worries me that I'll either have to feed him intrafungol or dab the cream onto his nose. It's not going to be an easy task.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be appreciated.

mcbeth

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hay not sure if I can help in any way as iv only had g pig a few months now tho I wouldnt give up trying keep on with getting them to take food from your hand x n as for the dry nose n other bits am not that sure sorry x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome!

You may find the tips in this thread here helpful. Building up trust with some piggies can take some time and a lot of patience, but it is worth it: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/

With members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you added your country, state or (for the UK) your county/city to your details, so we can always adapt our advice and recommendations straight away to what is possible/available to you. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. In the same section you can also upload your avatar; that is the picture that always appears with every post you make.

P

piggyfan

It is tricky when you have a biting pig. Usually it is a fear response. I am wondering if he is in pain and that is why he is biting. I think the vets visit is a good idea and you will be able to find out if anything is wrong.

With building trust I would have him on your lap without touching him for a few minutes a day just to get him used to you. In time you can offer a piece of vegetable so he associates being with you with something nice. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.