• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Biting me and completely changed in personality:(

Laura_Deakin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I need help. My Oreo has completely changed in personality since I moved her hutch from the garden to the garage and every time I go to pick her up she tries to bite me :( she never used to do that. Any ideas on how to stop the biting? It’s aggressive and she was always the one out of the two of them that was easiest to pick up and hold, she very rarely squirmed. It was always caramel. But Oreo is behaving very strangely. I took her to the vets just to check but there’s nothing wrong with her, the vet says it’s just behavioural. Any tips would be great. I feel like I’ve scared her and now she hates me :( how do I earn her love back :(

Wheekallweek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Normally I’d suggest a vet visit for drastic changes in behaviour, but you’ve beat me to it!
Perhaps sit in an enclosed area with her and her friend and let her come to you? Offer her lots of tasty treats too. She may be cage aggressive or territorial for whatever reason, I believe if you don’t react when she bites she’ll soon learn there’s no point in it!
Good luck x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I need help. My Oreo has completely changed in personality since I moved her hutch from the garden to the garage and every time I go to pick her up she tries to bite me :( she never used to do that. Any ideas on how to stop the biting? It’s aggressive and she was always the one out of the two of them that was easiest to pick up and hold, she very rarely squirmed. It was always caramel. But Oreo is behaving very strangely. I took her to the vets just to check but there’s nothing wrong with her, the vet says it’s just behavioural. Any tips would be great. I feel like I’ve scared her and now she hates me :( how do I earn her love back :(
Hi!

How old is Oreo and how long have you had your girls?

Please have a read of these guides here and see whether the information and tips in there can help you. It has certainly helped a growing number of forum members, so we know that it is actually very effective when you try to tackle the problem from a guinea pig persective abd address it in a frame that a guinea pig instinctively understands and that is making sense to it.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig
" Biting" And What You Can Do

Laura_Deakin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

How old is Oreo and how long have you had your girls?

Please have a read of these guides here and see whether the information and tips in there can help you. It has certainly helped a growing number of forum members, so we know that it is actually very effective when you try to tackle the problem from a guinea pig persective abd address it in a frame that a guinea pig instinctively understands and that is making sense to it.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig
" Biting" And What You Can Do
She is 7 months old and I’ve had them since July last year. I have read through those & tried to do them with them but 1) they just run away 2) I can’t force up her chin because she just bites me or runs off. 3) the whole thing about trying to get them to see that I’m in charge and not them doesn’t work, I’ve tried double tapping them on the nose but it doesn’t work because Oreo just runs off or doesn’t stay still. I tried to use the tube to get Oreo to come out, she went in the tube in her hutch, so I took it out and sat her on the sofa in it but she wouldn’t come out, and when I went to tip the tube, she started climbing it. I’m wondering if it’s because around three times a week I’ve been taking them out their hutch and putting them in the kitchen in their run so maybe it’s just too much environment change?.. they’ve been in the garage around a month now so I’m wondering if it’s just that she’s feeling anxious or threatened about her environment. I’m so worried :(