• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Biting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hayleyandjohn

I have got 5 piggies and all but 1 of them bite me! It used to be a nip that didnt really hurt but now its turned into what i would call, biting!
It happens when i pick them up and they have been sat for a few minutes, they start to bite to get free. its not as if I'm hurting them because they are normally just sat on my chest or lap.
Its quite frustrating because all i wanna do is give them a cuddle!

Do you think its becuase they dont like me? or do they just want to play with their friends? Does anyone know of how i can stop them from doin this? Its not as if they are like dogs that understand that theyre being told off for biting!

Don't know if this would help but we try this with puppies that do this. If you can make a gp sound that will make him stop in his tracks, not sure what sound it would be but what ever they give out for ' that hurt'. Hope I'm making sence!

Yer i get you. Like a squeak, like if they get hurt, they squeal. Might try that. I got a puppy thats into doing that aswell at the moment so will try it on her too!
Thanks!

hayleyandjohn said:
Yer i get you. Like a squeak, like if they get hurt, they squeal. Might try that. I got a puppy thats into doing that aswell at the moment so will try it on her too!
Thanks!

I haven't tried it with a piggie but when my dogs were puppies and nipped i used to say "ouch" & it worked a treat and still does, if one of them is a bit over enthusiastic when playing and they happen to catch my hand :)

Hi,

My new baby has starting biting and if I "tut tut" at him he looks at me! and also when he's on the floor and I can't hear him or see him I "tut tut" and he peeks out from whereever he is! Worth a try!

Titch nips often. I say a firm 'NO' (not shouting) then he stops and licks, then will try it again and the same.

He's learning slowly, but will always try his luck! ;)

I also try imitating their noises and find a brrrrrrrrr noise works best for mine, as it stops them in their tracks,jsut keep handling them as much as possible and make sure they feel safe, maybe wrapping them in an old t towel and gently chat to them I walk about chatting away to mine, often in the garden, neighbours have got use to my funny ways now lol

I have inherited an aged female G.P. and since then my new boy about 6-9 months old (also inherited) has changed from a guinea pig with attitude to a g.p. who now draws blood. Could the the arrival of the aged (about 6 years old) (also rescued) about 5 weeks ago had any effect? He does brrrrr a lot.

Zubin does that all the time I'm so used to it now it doesnt hurt anymore! I just talk away to him totally ignoring what hes doing and eventually he gets bored, though if they draw blood you might need a more stern aproach Harry drew blood from me once and i said No Harry and gently tapped his nose he hasnt done it again! and by tap i literally mean that i dont beat my guinea pigs lol

I guess this is because i'm a novice but i was always told Guinea Pigs never bite ? Guess my teacher was wrong!

On the whole "most" piggies do not bite. In the wild their first line of defence is to run like the clappers! When picked up they can't scoot off so usually freeze. This exeption to this rule is the one who bites. The best solution is to pick up the piggy and not let it snuggle in so you know where the teeth are at all times. Stroke the top of the head and don't put your hand near the mouth. I've had potential biters but have never been bitten (yet!) Or wear thick clothes! ;D

I have tried not having his nose snuggled in, but he just turns round headbuts and strikes when you least expect it! I have had guineas for years and never have I had one with such an attitude....... Love him just the same he follows me around the floor and comes to me for strokes ,he's on my knee at the moment brrring but quite happy,just wondered if he could have a dental problem,although he's eating quite normally. Don't know what happened to him in his previous home, (he's nipping my arm as I am typing),not hard though just nibbles. He has things to chew on in his house,plenty of exercise even though he is a house g.p. and is house trained to newspaper by his cage. Must admit I am puzzled. He didn't even mind his claws being clipped. I know he is still young, will he grow out of it or is he just a typical teenager?

Hi, i have started tutting when they bite and it seems to be working. I know they understand because their ears move and they just look at me with a look that is priceless!
Thanks for all your help!

Have you tried washing your hands in something like washing up liquid or hand wash before you pick him up. I had one who liked licking me now & then (not the current rescue girl who's obsessed with licking) & it was the salt from my skin that she liked. She went from licking occasionally to biting. I think she associated my hands with something tasty. So I started washing my hands with something purfumed before picking her up it kind of threw her a bit & broke the association.

To Hayley & John - isn't it just hilarious the way they look at you when you "tut" they looked shocked that we make such funny noises.!

piglover said:
To Hayley & John - isn't it just hilarious the way they look at you when you "tut" they looked shocked that we make such funny noises.!

Hiya, Yer it is quite funny. Mine look at me like, hang on you cant talk to me like that!

Have had a breakthrough with Mr. Truffles.(the guinea who started to draw blood).I started to say ouch each time I was bitten with a strong emphasis on the ch, and he stopped and looked startled. Now he just nibbles and comes up to my chin and licks, never had a guinea with so much character. He is just so funny. :) Thanks to all suggestions and tips from everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back