• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Biting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello! My littlest pig nibbles and bites quite hard sometimes when I pick her up? I don't randomly grab her or anything and she's only just started doing it these last few days? Any Ideas? :-)

Is she young? May be she gets startled without you actually intending on doing it. I find some young piggies want to lick you but get a bit too excited and use their teeth a little but as they get older they just lick you :)

Yeah she's just 9 weeks. I was under the impression that they do it because they don't like being picked up or handled? Myth?

it could just be she is exploring, make sure your hands dont smell of vegetables to it maybe what she can smell. not sure about the biting because of not wanting to be handled :)

Right, I see how the smell of veg could provoke a little nibble :-). Suppose just pre-empting it makes me on edge and a bit tense. Need to relax!

i have 2 nibblers and a kisser and a biter. you could maybe try and pick her up in something a towel or a cosy may make her feel more secure and save your fingers.

Hahaha! Hands full then! I'm still very aware of making them fell secure. Will try the towel trick and see if she warms to me! Thanks x

thats ok one of mine doesnt like being picked up or moved but will sit quite happily once your sitting down, they all have there own little quirks :) good luck x

My piggie Dillon has done this since I got him at 12 weeks and he still does it now at about 6 months! Even at lap time he will decide to put his wee nashers round my fingers, and likes to really get hold of nails....weird!

I am hoping he eventually just stops it. My other pigs have never nibbled unless they need the toilet so not sure why he does it....guessing just different personalities :)

One of our pigs is 4 and has always been a nibbler.

I think its just her way of exploring, she'll nibble everything sometimes when sitting on my she'll nibble my finger, its never a hard bite more of a way of finding out whats around her...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back