• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bitten ear?

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!
So after I got my guinea pigs (a couple months now) I noticed Teddy has got splits in his ears, not large ones but they are noticeable. Berty doesn’t have as much. I didn’t think of them as much at the time, but I’ve seen another thread about it. Is it natural for their ears to look like that or have they been bitten/scratched? Also, I didn’t know what to put this thread under so I did behavior! Let me know what you think, thank you!

My Benny Bobo had a slit in his ear when I adopted him from a rescue. This was due to overcrowding beforehand. He has grown into a gorgeous dominant boy with no issues whatsoever. If there’s no sign of blood, discomfort etc I wouldn’t worry. If there are any concerns get your piggie checked by a vet.

Many pet shop piggies or piggies from questionable backgrounds can have ragged torn ears, resulting from previous bullying and fights. If these are well healed and happened before you got your boys, its nothing to worry about, just a reminder of how lucky they were to escape their previous life!
If there are fresh bleeding ear wounds, and you see or hear fighting, this suggests some falling out between your boys, in which case you should assess if they have enough space and hideys etc, and if their bond isn't too good...

Hi!
So after I got my guinea pigs (a couple months now) I noticed Teddy has got splits in his ears, not large ones but they are noticeable. Berty doesn’t have as much. I didn’t think of them as much at the time, but I’ve seen another thread about it. Is it natural for their ears to look like that or have they been bitten/scratched? Also, I didn’t know what to put this thread under so I did behavior! Let me know what you think, thank you!

Hi! Are the splits new or old?

No it’s not normal - such injuries can have occurred because of previous fights
Thank you. We got them from a rescuer, she said they weren’t there for very long and she had just got them in. She told us that an old couple had them and the parents of the piggies were show animals, and they had to give them up due to health issues! Teddy has multiple splits. I don’t know if Berty was the cause though.

My Benny Bobo had a slit in his ear when I adopted him from a rescue. This was due to overcrowding beforehand. He has grown into a gorgeous dominant boy with no issues whatsoever. If there’s no sign of blood, discomfort etc I wouldn’t worry. If there are any concerns get your piggie checked by a vet.
They are old, they were there when I got him. Although, I am worried it was Berty!

Many pet shop piggies or piggies from questionable backgrounds can have ragged torn ears, resulting from previous bullying and fights. If these are well healed and happened before you got your boys, its nothing to worry about, just a reminder of how lucky they were to escape their previous life!
If there are fresh bleeding ear wounds, and you see or hear fighting, this suggests some falling out between your boys, in which case you should assess if they have enough space and hideys etc, and if their bond isn't too good...
I have seperated them due to a scratch on Teddy’s face. But I think that was due to Berty feeling cornered, I am planning to bond them over the weekend when I have time.

I found a photo from the week we got him! I don’t know if it’s as clear but if I took a photo now, he would have wiggled!

Attachments

• AF8373C6-64EB-47DE-9F7B-D64780AB8B5F.png
    AF8373C6-64EB-47DE-9F7B-D64780AB8B5F.png
    435.2 KB · Views: 6
Back