• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Black flakes in Piggys fur

Womble

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was brushing my Teddy guinea pig today And I noticed she has black flakes in her fur, like dried black skin. Also the hair on her back comes out very easily (a few strands at once) and has clumps of something stuck to the ends. She isn't scratching at all and there are no bald patches. I can't see anything moving. I have attached some photos. Could she have mites or something.

Attachments

• IMG_9288.jpeg
    IMG_9288.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9289.jpeg
    IMG_9289.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9290.jpeg
    IMG_9290.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1
I was brushing my Teddy guinea pig today And I noticed she has black flakes in her fur, like dried black skin. Also the hair on her back comes out very easily (a few strands at once) and has clumps of something stuck to the ends. She isn't scratching at all and there are no bald patches. I can't see anything moving. I have attached some photos. Could she have mites or something.

Hi

This looks like shed dead skin flakes to me. What I cannot tell you without a hands-on examination is whether this is the start of mange mites, a fungal skin infection or just seasonal shedding. Please see a vet if you see bald patches appearing or have any concerns.

Back