• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Black foot and nails?

CookieAngel18

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm back with angel and firstly I'd like to mention her teeth have fully grown back now and she's happier then ever, I'd also like to add a concern I've had, so all her paws are pink with white nails except for her bottom left foot, it's black and with black nails, I've tried washing this foot several times and nothing seems to work, she hasn't been showing any signs of pain and as I said she's happier then usual and alt more social since the accident last month, not sure what this could be or if it's just normal and always been there and I just never realised here are some photos20200713_130514.jpg20200713_130620.jpg

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It’s normal for piggies feet to be different colours - some feet are pink with white nail and some are black (which makes clipping them harder as you can’t see the quick)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Nail colour is defined by the colour of their coat markings; these entend into the feet and even nails.

Hold the nails against a source of light to see where the quick ends. If in any doubt, rather cut 1-2 mm further out until you become more confident. But those nails most definitely need a cut!
Guide to Cutting Guinea Pig Nails

Alternatively ask your vet clinic whether they have a guinea pig keeping nurse who would be willing to cut your piggies' nails.

Reaction score
My pig's nails got those black coloring. I was worried sick but my vet assured me everything is fine.