• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

black nails

Pebbles26

Junior Guinea Pig
My piggy had a health check yesterday and his little nails trimmed? I was afraid to do it without watching someone first as he has black nails, but affer watching I may try next time, does anyone else have piggies with black nails? but other than that he's the perfect weight and fantastic teeth! :) happy piggy.

Attachments

Swissgreys

Forum Buddy
What a lovely boy.
My lot have a mix of black and white nails, and once you get used to trimming them it really isn't that bad.
If the piggy is calm you can just take a small amount off, and that works for four of my five.
Ruby on the other hand has all dark nails and is a total nightmare - it takes 3 of us to clip her nails!

Seven7

Teenage Guinea Pig
Both my piggies have white nails but I still just cut the tip of it. I don't want to hurt them so I just get the tips. I would just rather cut it often then to cut it too close.

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2017/18
I have a few piggies with black nails, it's not a joy to do them...but if it's a struggle and you can get them to stay still, then use a torch to shine through the nail to see where the quick is...a tip I've used often.

Gem789

Forum Donator 2017/18
I have 2 pigs with black nails and a couple with a mixture of black and white and I take them all to the vets to have them clipped.I won’t even attempt anymore, they wriggle too much and I find it too nerve wrecking lol

yayoiharuko

Junior Guinea Pig
I can't keep my pigs still long enough to clip their nails unless I give them something to keep their attention elsewhere, such as a carrot. Other foods don't seem to work as it doesn't distract them enough. I usually will sit Blue (who has black nails) on my bed above eye level so I can see the nails clearly- but if your piggies are anything like mine, they will hide their feet. I will gently hold his feet and cut very small pieces off the nail until I get it to where I want it. I'm sure I could cut a lot more but it is particularly difficult since they are extremely dark. I have cut the quick in the past, but the bleeding stopped quickly. Being a new piggy owner, I freaked out and jumped on here just to check that I didn't need to do anything.
It's ten times easier to clip Ollie's nails, which I can see the quick in very easily. You just have to figure out where they are comfortable sitting and what their favorite food is and go from there, I think. Again, new piggy owner sooo.. just throwing my opinion out there. Learning every day x3

yayoiharuko

Junior Guinea Pig
I have a few piggies with black nails, it's not a joy to do them...but if it's a struggle and you can get them to stay still, then use a torch to shine through the nail to see where the quick is...a tip I've used often.
A flashlight? I didn't know that worked for black nails. I'll have to try that next time!