Black nails

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I know I have posted so much today but I have spare time on my hands. I have been wondering how to trim dark nails, both my piggies have dark nails. The last time I trimmed their nails (not that long ago actually) I didn’t cut down enough and they have grew long again. I have seen people mention a light, but I am not sure if that harms their eyes. My piggies do not behave when getting their nails trimmed. Has anyone got any tips on taming them to behave when nail trimming? I have seen it in a guide, to lick/gently bite their ear. But I’m still worried that if I put them on a table or on top of their hutch, they might shoot off haha. They are still young, so they still like to wiggle. Thank you! (Hopefully someone feels my pain)

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You can shine a torch up through the nail, it won’t hurt their eyes if you are careful. It really is the best way to be able to see the quick.
Don’t worry about cutting too little, it’s sometimes easier to do little and often. It can sometimes be a two person job - one to hold piggy and one to clip. Wrap piggy in a towel and it may be safest to sit on the floor so nobody has a big fall (that’s what I do!)
If you read the piggy whispering tips as they are very useful!

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Shining a torch underneath the nail should show the quick enabling you to not cut too far down. The light won’t harm their eyes if you’re careful. Could you get someone to hold your piggies whilst you cut or vice versa?

Sweet Potato

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just trim their nails at the point that they curve round so that the end is flat on the floor. not sure how well I explained that. I always worry cutting black nails but they don't mind the occasional accident as long as you keep some cornflour close by to dip any bleeding nails in. and as said above little and often is definitely the way to go.

daveclark79

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It's easier with 2 people, and parsley or coriander. I used to dread cutting my little guys black nails, luckily he only has one black foot. After 5 years of doing it I kind of know now where to cut and he's much better behaved these days. But yes, parsley and 2 of us were required in the early days.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can shine a torch up through the nail, it won’t hurt their eyes if you are careful. It really is the best way to be able to see the quick.
Don’t worry about cutting too little, it’s sometimes easier to do little and often. It can sometimes be a two person job - one to hold piggy and one to clip. Wrap piggy in a towel and it may be safest to sit on the floor so nobody has a big fall (that’s what I do!)
If you read the piggy whispering tips as they are very useful!
I usually sit in the run, on the floor and wrap the in a fleece, but all they do is run around and go underneath me 😂

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Shining a torch underneath the nail should show the quick enabling you to not cut too far down. The light won’t harm their eyes if you’re careful. Could you get someone to hold your piggies whilst you cut or vice versa?
Yes! I’ll try with the torch next time but shine it under their nail but in the other direction to their face, if that makes sense haha.

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just trim their nails at the point that they curve round so that the end is flat on the floor. not sure how well I explained that. I always worry cutting black nails but they don't mind the occasional accident as long as you keep some cornflour close by to dip any bleeding nails in. and as said above little and often is definitely the way to go.
That is exactly what I did before. I just cut the pointed bit off. But it is such a struggle, that it probably it better to not do it every 2 weeks, if you get what I mean. I didn’t know about the cornflour but I will definitely put it in a container right beside me. Thank you :)

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's easier with 2 people, and parsley or coriander. I used to dread cutting my little guys black nails, luckily he only has one black foot. After 5 years of doing it I kind of know now where to cut and he's much better behaved these days. But yes, parsley and 2 of us were required in the early days.
Both my piggies have 4 black feet 😫 I’ll probably get the hang of it sooner or later.

Sweet Potato

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
they will get more used to it I make sure to stroke their feet when I'm petting them so that nail clipping isn't the only time they get there feet touched in hopes that it gets them used to it quicker but one of my boys is still a bit of a wriggler

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
they will get more used to it I make sure to stroke their feet when I'm petting them so that nail clipping isn't the only time they get there feet touched in hopes that it gets them used to it quicker but one of my boys is still a bit of a wriggler
I will do that next time, I didn’t think of that. Thank you! :)

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I tried shining a light under, and I can’t see the quick! I just cut the tips off, but they do grow back quickly haha.