• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bladder Problem... Anything Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midge&Panda

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Rosie has just turned 5 and has been in good health for most of her life apart from the odd fatty lump. About 10 days ago we noticed pink pee and a squeak when she passed urine. Off to the vets for an exam and she was diagnosed with bladder sludge/ grit. She's on 0.4ml baytril, 0.3ml metacam (dog) as well as a nutracys + capsule daily. She has dropped a bit of weight so is being topped up with c.c. when she passed urine on my daughter today I noticed it was rather gritty. She's having plenty of wet food as well as extra vit c we've cut out the high calcium foods.. Is there anything else we can do to help?. She went back for a check up yesterday and an x-ray will be done in a fortnight if no improvement. Thanks.

I would say to get as much fluid as you can into her to flush things through. I would have suggested Glucosamine but I think that is covered by the Nutracys. What pellets is she on?

She has a mix of burgess and gertie. She doesn't tend to eat much pellet as it is , she sticks to the hay and forage. I have noticed that gertie has changed it's recipe recently and looks more brightly coloured. Whether this has any impact on her I'm not sure.

It could be, I think both Gertie and Burgess tend to be on the higher side with the calcium percentage. So it may be worth considering switching to a pellet with a lower calcium content like Bunny or Vitakraft Emotion. However, if she doesn't really eat many pellets they may not be a factor.

My Guinea pigs had pink wee just over a week ago. The vet felt that their diet was a major contributory factor and I have cut out all high calcium veg. The pink colouration has gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back