• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bladder stone pig

e22tracey

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My little boy walle had a bladder stone removed by surgery a few months ago. Unfortunately yesterday the vet did an x-ray and found 3 stones, 2 of which can't be removed.

He seems happy and bright now, and he has metacam, but as this will now be terminal I was wondering if there's anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

I also wonder if I am doing the right thing knowing that he will be in pain some days, but he is fairly young.

Any kind words of encouragement or advice would be appreciated.

I am very sorry for the diagnosis :( the main thing is to control his pain. Once you can no longer do this, you may need to make the decision to send him to the rainbow bridge.
My advise is to make memories every day and take lots of photos to look back on x

I am so sorry to hear this. I agree with Claire pain management is really all you can do. I had a piggy with this diagnosis a few years ago. Initially he had bladder stones that were successfully removed, sadly 2 weeks later he was diagnosed with more stones. One was was stuck in his kidney, the vet offered to try removing the kidney but I felt he had been through enough and if he was that prone to stones there was a big chance a few weeks/months later we would be back in the same situation. We managed to keep him going for 4 months upping his pain relief gradually and adding in gabapentin and tramadol towards the end. Bracken was a very happy bouncy piggy and other than pain on urination you wouldn't know there was anything wrong.
I hope you have many more happy days with your boy and can manage to make lots of happy memories. Piggies don't know how long or short their lives are or that their prognosis is poor, they know when they are loved and cared for that is the most important thing.

Hi everyone,

My little boy walle had a bladder stone removed by surgery a few months ago. Unfortunately yesterday the vet did an x-ray and found 3 stones, 2 of which can't be removed.

He seems happy and bright now, and he has metacam, but as this will now be terminal I was wondering if there's anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

I also wonder if I am doing the right thing knowing that he will be in pain some days, but he is fairly young.

Any kind words of encouragement or advice would be appreciated.

Sorry to read this. I am in a very similar position, my boy Ralph (age approx 6 ) had a stone removed from his ureter in July and has now had x-rays confirm that he has another large stone in his bladder and there is evidence of calcification in both kidneys. Make sure you have lots of hugs x

So sorry that you have had a terminal diagnosis.
It can knock you sideways to hear the news.

I can only echo what has been said already about pain management.
Give him lots of happy ‘todays ’ , make lots of memories and be gentle with yourself.
Receiving the news starts the grieving process so allow yourself to feel and work through that.

I do understand - I received a terminal diagnosis for my beautiful cute teddy Jemimah, it was a strange time caring for her until she passed away in June

Holding you ( and @Ellen Cookie ) in my heart

Back