• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bladder stones please help

Bearygrizz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig has kidney stones and needs surgery to remove. Has anyone experienced this? I have read stories that don’t have a good prognosis and I am discouraged

I’m sorry to hear this.
Can you confirm though - kidney stones or bladder stones?

There are many members on here who have experience of bladder stone surgery.
It’s hard but try not to worry. I’m sure your piggy is in good hands with your vet.
in the meantime, this is our diet guide which contains information on special diets for bladder piggies which includes things like ensuring pellets are kept strictly limited (this is for all piggies not just bladder piggies) to one tablespoon per day, that high calcium veg is kept limited to once per week and that drinking water is filtered. Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Sorry. Bladder stones.

Hi!

Bladder stone removal from the bladder a comparatively straight forward operation with a good recovery rate; one of my earlier piggies has needed two (that was in the days before there was much information or understanding around). If the stones have passed into the urethra, then things can get a lot more tricky, especially in boars who have narrower and longer urethra with an awkward inglenook where passed stones general fetch up.
PS: All of my stone piggies have made it through the op.

Here are our post op care tips: Tips For Post-operative Care

Hi!

Bladder stone removal from the bladder a comparatively straight forward operation with a good recovery rate; one of my earlier piggies has needed two (that was in the days before there was much information or understanding around). If the stones have passed into the urethra, then things can get a lot more tricky, especially in boars who have narrower and longer urethra with an awkward inglenook where passed stones general fetch up.
PS: All of my stone piggies have made it through the op.

Here are our post op care tips: Tips For Post-operative Care
Did they have reoccurrences?

They can do. Some piggies are more prone to it than others. But diet is also important. You are aiming for low (but not completely eliminating) calcium diet. Pellets and (tap) water are the biggest contributors - so a tablespoon of pellets a day and filtered water. Then there is veg that’s high in calcium - spinach, kale, parsley.

Do keep us updated and best of luck.

Did they have reoccurrences?

One of mine had a presistent when her calcium absorption process suddenly went haywire. But with dietary adjustments I could keep the problem to the accumulation of sludge, which could be - VERY gently - flushed out by the vet. And that the only persistent case in around 70 piggies in my life.

It depends on what exactly has been causing the stone in your piggy; normally you need to have at least one additional factor for a stone to form, whether that is a genetic disposition, a disturbance in the calcium absorption or bad drinking or any combination thereof.

However, the overwhelming majority of bladder stones are one-offs - and you can usually minimise the risk of recurring stones in the medium to long term pretty well with dietary adjustments. PLEASE follow our diet tips; they are your best tool for the long term. They are just not effective instantly. But the sooner you start making the changes, the quicker they come through. ;)

I would also strongly recommend that you try to focus on the positives and not fixate on all the negatives; your piggy is much more likely to have a good recovery and be free of stones in the future if you stop fretting and actually read up on the diet information and concentrate on working out what changes to your piggy diet you need to practically make.
What your piggy needs is positive energy from you, and not you freaking out over your piggy. Try to visualise your fears as red strangs; catch them and then send them out as gentle and nurturing green waves bathing your piggy and holding it safe and in comfort. This will help both you and your piggy. But you can use other Mindfulness exercises if you have any that you know work best for you.

Back