• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bladder tumour, is her back end OK?

Black piggies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Mishka was diagnosed recently with a bladder tumour, the vet said she just has weeks left and will need PTS once she gets to 500g or seems out of sorts, not eating etc. She went down to 620g but after antibiotics she's up to the 670g she was when I got her in June. She seems happy and active still.

I gave her a bum bath yesterday, which has to be done very gently as she has seemed in pain, so maybe not thorough enough ?

I asked a friend to hold her for me to clip the hair on her legs, and I'm not sure if this wet pooey lump is normal? If I can't keep her clean and comfortable, I'd rather not prolong things.

IMG_20210913_175324.jpgIMG_20210913_175158.jpgIMG_20210913_175154.jpg
IMG_20210905_113930.jpg

Hi!

It could be a sign that she is no longer eating as much hay or her medication messing up the digestive system.

Offer her a bowl with recovery formula and probiotics and see whether that helps. In these kind of situations I prefer not to syringe feed but give a piggy control over how much they want to eat on their own.

See whether her pain medication may need some adjustment.

Thank you, I take note of offering rather than pushing food at end of life. Probiotics like that rabbit one?

She's always been undersized so 670g is her usual I believe.
The mess on her when she only had a bum bath yesterday worries me, won't she be very sore like that and get an infection again? She was smelly, my bum bath wasn't good enough? Though it feels cruel to do frequent, painful bum baths.

Thank you, I take note of offering rather than pushing food at end of life. Probiotics like that rabbit one?

The mess on her when she only had a bum bath yesterday worries me, won't she be very sore like that and get an infection again? She was smelly, my bum bath wasn't good enough? Though it feels cruel to do frequent, painful bum baths.

Any probiotics you like, including Bene Bac if you wish to.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this.
I agree that the lump doesn't look normal and if you say she is very smelly and seems to be in pain then things may have worsened despite t increase in weight.

Remember you always know your own piggy best, and you will instinctively know the right thing to do when the time comes.

Any decision made out of love is never the wrong one.
It is clear how much you love Mishka and how hard this is for you.
Be kind to yourself.

Thanks for the kind words and your opinion on the lump. She's booked in the vet tomorrow and having Pro C now. Just don't know whether to do another sore bum bath, or leave her looking sore...

Thanks for the kind words and your opinion on the lump. She's booked in the vet tomorrow and having Pro C now. Just don't know whether to do another sore bum bath, or leave her looking sore...

Fingers firmly crossed for tomorrow!

Back