• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bladderstones

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlh

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

On Friday I noticed one of our guinea pigs (5 year old Smudge) was limping. When I picked her up I immediately felt a difference in her body. I put aside and monitored her for a couple of hours, she wasn't interested in food, and didn't poo or wee. I started feeding crtiical care.
The next day took her to the vets, they did an X-ray and can see two suspicious circles which they believe are bladder stones (I looked at the xray and it is amazinly difficult to see anything - I could see a very faint circle). They said one was small enough to pass, the other would need a op.
They put her on Baytril, meloxviet and zantec, and told us to come back on Monady.

Since then she has made a small amount of poo and wee, but hasn't moved, drunk or eaten anything of her own accord. I am syringing food, but she is making very little effort to swallow. Currently she's lying down, eye very sunken weeping like mad, she's looking very miserable. She shuffles about a bit, but isn't really making any pain noises.

She's going back to vet tommorow to see if she is well enough to operate. I don't believe she is, and I cannot see her getting any better if I am honest....

How long would you wait to see if her condition improves for surgery, or is euthanasia earlier the 'kinder' option? :(

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
How awful for you, I had to have my girl pts on Wednesday. I think you know when it's the right time. For now I would keep her as comfortable as possible.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
I am sorry :( If I were you, I would keep her as comfortable as you can for today and then wait and see what the vet says tomorrow before you make any decisions xxxxxx

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am sorry she is not looking good. Has she seemed worse since being given the Baytril? I only ask as some pigs have been known to worsen significantly when given Baytril, some pigs are intolerant to it and need a gentler antibiotic.

What dose of Meloxivet is she on? (For other readers - Meloxivet is also known as Metacam and Meloxidyl).

karlh

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am sorry she is not looking good. Has she seemed worse since being given the Baytril? I only ask as some pigs have been known to worsen significantly when given Baytril, some pigs are intolerant to it and need a gentler antibiotic.

What dose of Meloxivet is she on? (For other readers - Meloxivet is also known as Metacam and Meloxidyl).

She was a bit limpy on Friday at aroudn 6:00pm, and then deteriorated very quickly in the following hours - I don't think she is now any differrent from what she was.

She had 0.5mls metacam injection yesterday, and now on 0.2mls orally. (Along with the 0.18mls x2 zantec & 0.9mls Baytril).

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Hugs Hun......

It's a bit worrying that she isn;t improving being given a pain killer..(dosage of metacam sounds about right BTW) ..are you syringe feeding her? You wll need to do this to build up her strength for an op...and it sounds like she needs the op sooner rather than later. It may be she has a stone in the urethra (ie further down than the bladder) that needs removing - this can be done with a whiff of gas like was done to my Fleure who was in a terrible state when she went to the vet but afterwards was back to her normal self within a couple of days. Unfortunately Fleure had bad kidney stones as opposed to baldder stones so her prognosis wasn;t good...nevertheless with the aid of metacam she had another 6 months very happy piggie years with her mate Grommie.

It's a long shot....but as it;s bladder and not kidney stones you could try actigall (destolit)......some guinea lynx members have reported good results in helping to dissolve bladderstones prior to an op - might be worth printing out the thread below and taking it to your vet

http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=93

Unfortunately vets over here refer to a guinea pig "bible" that is well out of date and still tells them that most piggie stones are oxalate...whereas following a massive survey of piggie bladder stones in the US we now know they are mostly carbonate....hence destolit might work. It is normally prescribed for dogs with gall bladder problems

I know it's hard but keep syringe feeding her to build up her strength...and hopefully the vet will firstly take another X ray prir to perhaps performing an op to give her relief.

Obviously you also need to look at her diet (Ca\PO4 ratio...lots of threads on here) and also consider maybe cranberry or some other cystitis preparation to give her some relief (eg cytospurin)

HTH
x

karlh

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hugs Hun......
are you syringe feeding her? You wll need to do this to build up her strength

Thanks.... Yes, we started syringing on Friday, but by Saturday she wasn't interested in food at all.
She held her head down and wasn't making any attempt to swallow - she also felt very bloated so I really didn't know if I was helping.
Yesterday evening, I could see her respiriation was in override, and could feel her heart pounding away, by morning she was gone....

I hope she at least had a nice 2 1/2 years - she was a rescue pig with unknown origin and didn't have much trust in humans. Poor gal :(

Caviesgalore (EPGPR)

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss, as someone who has experienced bladder stones in several of my gang over the years I know what you went through - I hate stones with a vengence.:(

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am so sorry! I lost one of my piggies after a prolonged battle that included two bladder stone ops and chronic cystitis; it is so hard to see them suffer so much!

BIG HUG

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i am so sorry for your loss, poor little thing, i think you must have made her life so good for the time you had her, thank god she found you x

rip baby girl xx

Hazelcroft Rescue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. I understand what you went through having recently lost one of mine to bladder stones. At least she is pain free now.

Reaction score
I am so sorry for your lost, my guinea pig currently have the similar situation.
I am very worried now :( finger crossed he is going to be ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.