• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bleeding From Anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critter

Reaction score
I have just brought Penny and Sunrise in from the lawn and Sunrise had blood around her anus. I have found several piles of poop with blood spots. The blood is not mixed in the poop itself, it's like she's bled onto the poo, possibly whilst pooing.
there's no vets open right now, what do you think could be going on?

She seems her normal self, but obviously something is not right.

Thank you in advance

I'm so sorry I cannot be any help. All I can say is try to get her into the emergency vets maybe?

Wishing you all the best x

It is difficult to say; generally it can be the beginning of a UTI, a stone or more rarely a problem with the uterus. Bleeding from the guts is very rare. She may need an x-ray. See your vet tomorrow as soon as you can.

All the best! I hope that it is the first!

Oh bless her I hope Sunrise is ok! Keep us updated on what the vet says

Hiya, thanks @Wiebke. We're back from the vet. I was frightened that it might have been a fly-strike, and I know these things, though rare, are emergencies when they do happen, so off we went.
The vet couldn't find anything wrong and recommended not doing any scans for the time being. She ruled out fly-strike, and took her temperature up the anus partly to see if any blood came out with it, partly to see if it was normal and partly to see if Sunrise was in discomfort up there. That was all clear. temperature normal, no blood and Sunrise was quite relaxed about it.
The vet suspects the possibility of a problem with the womb. She explained to me that when they poop it presses on the womb, and can squeeze out any blood that has accumulated in there. A UTI is unlikely as the blood is literally drops of blood, not mixed in with wee at all just neat blood. Not that she could find any blood, but going on what I said.... I suspect she is correct about this, as Shadow's repeated bouts of UTIs always had blood mixed in with the wee - never pure drops.

Sunrise herself is as bright as ever, totally her normal self, active, eating well, behaving normally and showing no signs of stress, pain etc.

Her advice is to monitor the situation and if it carries on or she looks like she is feeling poorly I am to take her to my regular vet for investigation.

Sending lots of love and vibes, please keep us updated x

Well, for now it all remains a mystery.
This morning after a thorough cage inspection (and the usual daily refresh) there's no sign of blood at all, and on the piggies - again no sign.

Perhaps it could be that one of them managed to cut herself and bled, and Sunrise happened to wipe her bum right on one of the blood spots, but there was no other blood around their fur so I can't really see that this is likely either....

Unless it happens again I will have to leave it be for now I think.

Is it possible that she passed a stone and bled afterwards?

Well, for now it all remains a mystery.
This morning after a thorough cage inspection (and the usual daily refresh) there's no sign of blood at all, and on the piggies - again no sign.

Perhaps it could be that one of them managed to cut herself and bled, and Sunrise happened to wipe her bum right on one of the blood spots, but there was no other blood around their fur so I can't really see that this is likely either....

Unless it happens again I will have to leave it be for now I think.

Is it possible that she passed a stone and bled afterwards?

It could be a possibility. I know that one or two of my piggies did.

Oh the poor little poppet :(

Might be worth considering ovarian cysts. How old is she?

My Ellie kept getting reoccurring uti's&sometimes she would bleed badly covering her poops with deep red undiluted looking blood.
She had a conscious ultrasound scan &found a walnut sized ovarian cyst. She had 2 hormone (hcg) chorulon injections 7-10 days apart. I think she only bled once since &that was march 2014.
However she had another round of the same hormone treatment this march as the lump had grown &was noticeably protruding from her side &she was puffy &not her usual self.

Try discussing with your vet if it happens again.
Healing vibes for your furball baby.
Speedy recovery &keep us updated

Luv the girls &I
Xx

Oh the poor little poppet :(

Might be worth considering ovarian cysts. How old is she?

My Ellie kept getting reoccurring uti's&sometimes she would bleed badly covering her poops with deep red undiluted looking blood.
She had a conscious ultrasound scan &found a walnut sized ovarian cyst. She had 2 hormone (hcg) chorulon injections 7-10 days apart. I think she only bled once since &that was march 2014.
However she had another round of the same hormone treatment this march as the lump had grown &was noticeably protruding from her side &she was puffy &not her usual self.

Try discussing with your vet if it happens again.
Healing vibes for your furball baby.
Speedy recovery &keep us updated

Luv the girls &I
Xx
Thank you @GPTV . Luckily she has not bled since so I am suspecting a bladder stone passed and done with. She is totally her normal and active self (she's two years old by-the-way) and so I am simply monitoring her and inspecting her bedding and bottom area.
Certainly if it does happen again I will take to the vet to request a scan :) She doesn't have any classic symptoms of ovarian cysts but I have read that sometimes they don't, but I hadn't considered cysts before your post so thank you :) xx

I have not put Sunrise and Penny on the grass since, until this morning. Firstly because I cut it and I never put them on for a few days after a cut as I tend to find it gives them the slops if I do, and also because I wanted to be sure she wasn't bleeding before putting her back out on the grass. She's been fine all week, no signs of blood anywhere in the cage or on herself.
Anyway, I brought them in this morning and she had another blood smear round her bottom and neat blood spots in amongst the poop!
This doesn't feel like an emergency to me, but a reaction to the grass for some reason that I cannot fathom. We have never used chemicals on it, there's no fungi, no daisies or buttercups, just grass, clover and the odd dandelion here and there. She was fine the previous two summers.
Anyway, I've just mown the grass again and will be leaving them off for a while again to see what happens.
They do have grass hand-picked daily without reaction, but they don't eat as much that way as they would being on the lawn for a few hours, so no reaction from that.

I do have to restrict Snowball and Freddie's grass time as Snowball gets soft poops if I leave her out on it too long, but Penny and Snowball never had a problem before (Penny still doesn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back