• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bleeding Piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I feel like all I've done since joining this forum is ask questions! I feel everyone must think I'm such a bad mum with really unhealthy piggies.

Anyway, I did tag this onto another post but I think it may have been overlooked.

One of my pigs has started bleeding last night, initially I wasn't sure which one but upon inspection tonight I can tell it is the mum. The blood seems to be coming from around her ladies parts, there's hardly any blood at all maybe 20 specks in the last 24hrs and a tiny little bit of blood stain on her under fur. Also, she's not in any stress or acting and differently to normal.

Anyone got any ideas? Could she have cut herself on sawdust or hay or I'd it likely to be more serious?

Do you think she needs to see an emergency vet tonight or will it wait until tomorrow evening? Also, is she okay to be I'm the pen with her daughters or should she be separated?

Please help, I'm one very worried piggy mummy.

How long since she has given birth?

You should see a vet immediately, if there is heavy or continuous bleeding. If the bleeding is just spotty, I would have her seen by tomorrow. Bleeding a little (i.e. less than a teaspoon) within the first day after birth is not unusual, but anything later or more should be seen by a vet.

I would leave the pups with mum.

The babies are 14weeks old ish (so not really babies I guess) which is why I'm worried about leaving them in with her. As I said there's not much bleeding - I cleaned them out about an hour and there hasn't been anymore. Could it just be that she had caught herself with her claw or is it likely to be an infection?

I did wonder if she's in heat, but I read on the Internet that piggies don't bleed whe in heat like a dog, is that right?

Thanks for your help.

Pigges are not meant to bleed when in heat....but recently, perhaps thanx to the internet; there seems to be more and more reports (worldwide) of bleeding problems in females without a firm diagnosis

Blood shouldn;t be ignored....especially when the babes are 14 weeks old.

Cavy savvy vet visit me thinks?

Suspect urinary probs rather than reprodcutive......

x

If it hasn't got anything to do with birthing as I intially assumed, I would check for UTI (cystitis) as well as womb trouble if the bleeding persists.

I have seen several reports of one off small bleeding in sows since I have joined the forum.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

I cleaned the gang out last night and checked this morning and no more blood, my boyfriend checked a little while ago and again no more blood. All very strange. Going to try get a vets appointment for tomorrow night. Think they all need a piggy mot anyway cos I'm not sure how well looked after they have been prior to us getting them so I will ask the vet what they think.

Update - the pig that was bleeding now isn't bleeding at all but is making some very strange noises, stretching herself really long and wriggling her bottom, she's also been chasing the other two which she's not done before - is this normal?

That sounds like rumbling she is showing the other piggies she is boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back