• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

blind baby pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bramble

my Oh is on call all weekend , at 430 this morning he went out to a job to find a cardboard box by our gate, inside are two baby piggies :( weve had them to the vets today , there only a couple days old, but in fine health apart from the fact one is blind in both eyes it appears, hes really alert bless him & not at all hindered by this, weve put him in with mable as she had 4 piggies a weeks ago & there doing fine shes making a right fuss of them :-*
but my q is , A) how will this little guy manage ? i have an older pig bluebell who is blind in one eye after a corn seed got stuck in it and she is fine tho follows one of my other piggies everywhere! & B) what could have caused his blindness? would it be genitic? only oner of my other rescued piggies who came in pregnate had a piggie who was blind in one eye & is also doing fine ? does blindness hinder them ? ive never had experince before & now it looks like i have 3 ! :-\

There is a good german website about this topic: http://www.das-huehnchen.de

They have a little piggy which is blind and deaf.

huehn03.jpg

It causes alot of problems, especially if they are blind from the beginning and havent turned blind in later years, because they cannot learn the social rules of piggy society..
In the case of that piggy, because its deaf, it was especially difficult. Other piggy talks to her telling her to go away. She cant hear it, and isnt reacting. Her way of finding out whats in front of her is to stretch and lift her head as high as possible - which would be classed as threatening by the normal piggy, who then nips her.

also it proved difficult to have her in a group of piggies, someone bumps into her she races away, into another piggy, who nips her for it, she races again, and bumps into another one... not nice for any of the piggies. its like playing pinball. She is just scared of so many things if they are where she doesnt expect them.

what they did in the end was make her a little seperate cage next to the other piggies one, so they can come and visit her, but she isnt in danger of getting lost in their cage. Hühnchen likes to know where things are. she has peace and quiet in her cage, can smell other piggies and sometimes feel them, and thats about it, and she seems happy about it.

huhnhome.jpg

Putting her together with other piggies would be a real problem. Older ones would just be nasty to her, because she doesnt understand the most obvious piggy talk, and younger ones would not learn how to behave properly from her, they would grow up to think they just have to touch an older piggy to make it run away. Imagine having to place those young piggies into a normal group at some point..

They have some videos on that Website aswell.. here for example:

http://www.das-huehnchen.de/flash_videos/handtuch/handtuch.html

She wants to defend her towel. She can smell there are other piggies around. but she doesnt know where and is bumping her nose into thin air..

Might be an idea to contact the owner of "Hühnchen", I'm sure she can speak english, and ask her for advice on how to make life nice for a blind piggy?

I have 2 blind piggies - they are absolutely fine! You would never know that there was anything wrong with them to be honest. The only special consideration I make is not to move their things around and make sure that they have the same area for floor time each time otherwise I have known them to get confused.

My mum (staffie_lass) also has a blind piggie Bumble who is definately the boss of her group pf sows!

The little one should be fine - I bet he takes it all in his stride!

starshine said:
I have 2 blind piggies - they are absolutely fine! You would never know that there was anything wrong with them to be honest. The only special consideration I make is not to move their things around and make sure that they have the same area for floor time each time otherwise I have known them to get confused.

just out of interest, were they born blind or did they get blind due to age or injury?

I suppose its a different kind of thing when they are just blind, not blind and deaf.. sound does help so much!
but imagine you cant even hear some other piggy chattering its teeth at you! feel sorry for those little critters..

aww poor mite I think I would be putting her in with a very a very gentle pig and would hope they would be fine and she would cope,

Poor little things. At least they're in good hands now. My only experience was when one of my older ones went blind, I know it's a different situation from yours but she managed fine. When I brought a new guinea in I introduced her to the blind one first as she was so gentle and no threat. It would be a shame if she was on her own, I'd definitely give it a go like Michelle says, with a very gentle one.

Good luck.

I'm just so pleased the piggies have found you. Bless them. A little gentle piggie would be ideal company I'm sure. :)

tx guys , been out with in the shed all day , i contacted a very knowledgable piggie freind of mine, it seems marmite (hes a blk pru) isnt blind as his eye is clearing a bit ! it seems to be an infection ! we went to her vets who says there is a condition in longhaired piggies& its just needs treatment to right itself , he may not have 100% eyesight but thats not a prob ! I'm so pleased & i showed her the little piggie my rescued piggie had & shes given her the same cream & amazingly her eye is clearing too ! wow I'm so happy ! not that a blind piggie would have been a huge prob as bluebell is blind in one eye & gets on fine tho violet does help her alot !
I'm worried about marmite & licquorice mum tho ? poor thing ...she must ber sooo sad with out her babys , but we have no idea where they came from, i dont think they had been there long as they werent cold or anything & had loads of hay ect in the box, one of my other mums is fussing ovwer them bless ! & they seem very happy & content so hopefully all will be ok :) bless there furry paws !

oh & abona ..that piggie is geourgussssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ! mwah x

My George is almost blind and I never knew until my rodentologist told me. You'd never know to watch him.

I'm so glad those little piggers found you. :)

there reall cuties , i will post piccies , tho u may remeber big gob here saying i was excited to be having a 'few' litters due as some of the piggies i had coming in turned out to be preggie... i must have 'plonker ' sign over my head , as it seems from the group of six girls i had brought to me at least two are having bubs too ! but its lucky as any little tiddlers like these two have plenty of nursing mums & there all so loving to the babies its quite touching really, but ive been lucky as people have been ringing me in the past to go on to a waiting list for piggies n buns , so i have been lucky , plus a few little uns have touched our hearts & are defr staying put ! ::)

really must start saving for a bigger shed !

Gee i'm really glad they found you, must be fate, as they'd probably have had no hope.
You're wonderful keep up the good work, all the best, and please keep us posted they all sounds so beautiful :-*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back